MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Messy coding.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There must be a better way to change themes or styles rather than just overwriting the current one... and a better way to upgrade the current board rather than just replacing everything again.

Also, you should keep in practice of: writing everything in lowercase OR keeping all the files and commands to have consistent case sensitivity. If the .php command calls for a file named RANDOM_FILE.php but it is actually called random_file.php this could really mess up an installation faster than anything.

I love the free code... new ideas... but I am going back to phpbb. Thanks again, for wasting one whole day of my time trying to go back and fixing issues that shouldn't be here in the first place.
Firstly, we're sorry you've chosen to leave MyBB.

I don't think this is a problem because the developers write the install wizard the way the files are designed to be uploaded, changing the case shouldn't ever be necessary.

You can change themes/styles without overwriting the current one, you upload a whole new set of images to the board, alongside the old ones of other themes...

Hopefully my post might have made you decide to stay at MyBB? Either way at least don't be mad at us.
None of what you've said here makes any sense.

(2011-02-22, 06:11 AM)xanadar Wrote: [ -> ]There must be a better way to change themes or styles rather than just overwriting the current one...

Why do you think you have to overwrite the current one?? You can upload as many themes as you want and it doesn't have to overwrite anything.

(2011-02-22, 06:11 AM)xanadar Wrote: [ -> ]and a better way to upgrade the current board rather than just replacing everything again.

How exactly do you propose the forum runs the new code if the new versions of the files don't overwrite the old versions of the files?? You don't need to replace everything anyway, we provide a changed files pack for when you're upgrading just one version, you just upload what's changed.

(2011-02-22, 06:11 AM)xanadar Wrote: [ -> ]Also, you should keep in practice of: writing everything in lowercase OR keeping all the files and commands to have consistent case sensitivity. If the .php command calls for a file named RANDOM_FILE.php but it is actually called random_file.php this could really mess up an installation faster than anything.

Can you give an example of a file name that is in capitals or code that looks for code in upper case letters...?? I've never seen anything like this.

It seems like you've not understood some things here or something, but instead of asking us about it, you've just decided to leave, and post a sarcastic comment saying we've wasted your time when you've not even given us a chance to help you with what was wrong. You realise if you had just posted about these problems, we'd have helped you with it or explained it to you??

Fair enough. Goodbye Smile