MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is there any way to ban email domains?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been getting quite a bit of adbots from fsq1.com and would just like to know if banning domains is possible.
Admin CP -> Configuration -> Banning -> Disallowed Email Addresses
then type *@fsq1.com
(2011-02-22, 11:01 AM)zZJoennZz Wrote: [ -> ][...] then type *@fsq1.com

LOL, exactly this domain I banned 2 days ago.
(2011-02-22, 12:01 PM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]

Same here... Toungue
You don't need the wildcard, @fsq1.com will work, too.
Sorry for going a tad off topic, but what does those emails do? Create alot of accounts with different emails from that domain?
(2011-02-22, 12:01 PM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]

Same here. Eevery day were created 2-3 accounts from this domain.
I banned the domain yesterday.

(2011-02-22, 02:22 PM)groovybluedog Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for going a tad off topic, but what does those emails do? Create alot of accounts with different emails from that domain?

Spammers will often use a particular email domain that is their own or something. You can also use it to block email addresses that are from temporary email address services.
(2011-02-22, 02:22 PM)groovybluedog Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for going a tad off topic, but what does those emails do? Create alot of accounts with different emails from that domain?

If you allow their registration activation, they register and simply visit your site regularly(as they are bots) or may not. But when they feel that its time to rock, they just spam your board Toungue
What I did was ban the email domain & add a second captcha system to my registration (hoping they will hit a wall by the second captcha lol).

Also, you shouldn't put ".com" because those domains change so easily, do this instead which I think is a tad more robust in my opinion:

*@fsq1*
No harm though to add this to your block list also: @fsq1.com

I also had to ban these twats today Big Grin
Pages: 1 2