MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can you convert...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2011-02-23, 04:07 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Opera is a very powerful browser that's actually more of an internet suite. Yet it's footprint is still smaller than most other browsers including Firefox.

Chrome is very small and does only one real thing. Be a browser.

With Opera I have my mail client, irc, and torrent tracker. All in one package.

From 6 months ago:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/0...t-edge.ars

You can see how well Opera actually does in benchmarks. And again..all this with full features.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fire...58-10.html

These tests are also Opera 10.5 and version 11 is now released and it's faster and more improved. Opera really does continually push the envelope for features, reliability and speed.

I use all browsers for testing and various functions but Opera is my main browsers because it's the fastest and most feature rich. And I can't live without Mouse Gestures.

I love you, and the other small minority that don't spend their lives worrying whether if all of the millions of webpages loaded a tad faster, they might be able to load three more sites in their life, and actually use something for it's features. Sure, you don't want to use stuff that is incredibly recourse hogging, but it's nice seeing some people actually use a browser for it's features.

I know this sounds like a completely irrational rant, but that is because it is. The point still stands though, that does it really matter if it's .0000003 of a second quicker?
(2011-02-23, 08:46 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Oh! You never mentioned data so we simple assumed you meant switching to a different browser. What exactly would you need to convert though?

lol, sorry about that Toungue
Cookies, Browsing Data, Favourites etc.
(2011-02-23, 01:13 PM)Shukaku Wrote: [ -> ]Cookies, Browsing Data, Favourites etc.

Apparently Opera will recognize Chrome bookmark exports by going File > Settings > Import/Export > Import firefox bookmarks. My source is google though so that possibly wont work. There are cloud bookmark storage options that might help you, I'm not sure about history and cookies though.

On the topic of browsers, although I use Chrome, on paper Opera has always been ahead of the pack. If I was to do a pro/cons analysis of all the browsers to decide which one I would use then I would end up using Opera without a doubt.

In reality however I just find myself opening Chrome even when I try to give other browsers a go, this isn't out of habit either, I initially never planned to move to Chrome from Firefox as I though I needed my plugins, over time though I found myself using Chrome more and more until eventually it became my primary browser.

I personally believe that all browsers should move to webkit, if they all used the same rendering engine then it would solve all compatibility issues and the choice of browser would come down to just features and feel. Hopefully having one central rendering project would also lead to an increase in the adoption of new HTML, CSS & JavaScript technology too.
I definitely agree with the webkit idea Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4