MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 404 Error due to files extensions set to "need-rebuild"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My forum is over at http://www.stufffundieslike.com/forum

It's a new 1.6.1 install that's been running for about a month. About two weeks ago I stated having 404 errors when trying to view threads which I tracked back to the forumdisplay.php being automatically renamed by something (server goblins?) to forumdisplay.php.needs-rebuild.

I can fix the issue temporarily by renaming the file back to .php but after some variable amount of time (could be two hours, could be a day) the file will be renamed back to .php.needs-rebuild.

Of course, Google seems clueless on this issue.

I've tried manually running a thread recounts and rebuilding the forum caches but this doesn't seem to help.

I've also tried replacing the forumdisplay.php file with a known good one from the install zip but that also doesn't stop the problem from recurring.

Even setting the file permissions to 555 to stop writing doesn't keep the rename from occurring.

I confess I'm a bit stumped by this one.
Well you'll need to see why your host is actually renaming this file... there's nothing we can do about this, it's your host that's renaming the file, not MyBB.
I contacted the host. They claim that they are not renaming files nor would the do so without informing me first.

Any other guesses out there as to what's doing this?
I think I have a clue.

There's a strong likelihood that Wordpress caching has been clobbering my files since MyBB installed in a subfolder. I've turned off the file caching and am waiting to see...

Thanks.