MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Staff Forum Visible after a MyBB merge?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

I just made an upgrade to MyBB 1.6.2. I also just merged a forum into MyBB (this might have been it instead). Oddly, all my plugins were disabled after it was done (if this is expected, then I understand), and then, this.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7233/30603800.png

This was posted by a member of mine who did not normally have the permission to see anything except for the "The Common" forum. I checked my Forum Management permissions for the other forums and indeed, there's no way he's supposed to see the forums. Even guests see them.

http://www.dashingforums.com/

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7743/...shotnj.png - Screenshot of permissions page, showing Guests and Members are not supposed to be able to view them.

Tomm told me to post here, cause I thought it was a bug. He also told me to save the permission sets, which I did, but to no avail.
I don't see this as a merge system bug. Once merged, even if your permissions don't come across (which IS a merge system bug) then you should still be able to fix the permissions in your ACP. If you can't, thats a problem with the core code. I'm going to move this to general support, as the merge system permissions transfer bug is a known issue already on the dev site, but no one else has said they can't adjust permissions after the merge was complete.
No, that's the thing. I'm merging a 1000 post ish forum to an established one, so I don't see why permissions would normally be an issue. I'm thinking it could be a regression, but I don't know if that's the case.

EDIT: It's a regression, and not a result of the merge system. I just uploaded a backup of the database right before merging, and the error was there, so it was not the merge system, sorry Dylan.
No problem, its still an issue that needs to be addressed.
So what permissions display when you edit them...?? The upgrade doesn't do anything with the permissions, and neither does it do anything to deactivate plugins.
(2011-02-23, 09:28 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]So what permissions display when you edit them...?? The upgrade doesn't do anything with the permissions, and neither does it do anything to deactivate plugins.

If I recall correctly, the Merge System was what deactivated the plugins, but don't quote me on that.

What I did yesterday was noticed that non-staff members were able to see my forum. I went into the permissions and saw that it was off (without special customizations), so I knew something was up. The day before I did the merge, I replaced the files and hence upgraded the forum to 1.6.2.

Previously, guests/non-staff were able to see the latest topic title and the forum name, description, etc. If they went into a topic or a forum, they will get a no-permission error (which is expected), but they're still able to see the forum. I was able to edit custom permissions and remove the rights for them to see the last topic posted, but other than that, it seems like the "Can View Forum" does not work.

I'm certain something's up, because...

- I tried replacing every file with 1.6.2 files, unedited (functions.php is edited and I applied one patch from the respiratory). Regardless, with or without the file edits, the bug is still there.
- I had a backup of the forum database just before I made the edits. I connected the forum to the database, and the error was there, so there shouldn't have been anything wrong with the merge.
Like I said above, the merge doesn't always bring permissions over properly, but it has no effect on editing them afterwards. So its definitely an issue with your board/settings. Just not sure what.
PM me admin login details and I'll have a peek.
(2011-02-24, 07:48 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Like I said above, the merge doesn't always bring permissions over properly, but it has no effect on editing them afterwards. So its definitely an issue with your board/settings. Just not sure what.

Yeah, I came to a conclusion that it wasn't your fault. The merge itself went more or less smoothly without anything to complain about. Also, I had no expectations on your part because it was a gateway merge (IPB 3 to MyBB via. vBulletin).

(2011-02-24, 08:02 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]PM me admin login details and I'll have a peek.

PM Sent. If you need access to the files themselves, let me know.
OK, 'Hide Private Forums?' in the Forum Home Options was set to No, set it to Yes and it works... I always forget about this setting, and I'm not 100% sure why the merge would have had an effect on this setting, as it's set to Yes by default, but anyway, it appears to be okay now.
Pages: 1 2