MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sharing Multi-Installs, Simple Q, Need Simple Y/N
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The concept it to have a parent install, to interact with children installs.

Where any user information, or "user table" and related tables, can be used within the database, and pointing via variable prefixes, to allow information to be correctly looked up in the php/per install.

Install One Prefix: mybb_par
Install Two Prefix: mybb_chi

So in the case of the first install:
User Related Tables are prefixed: mybb_par
Forum Related Tables are prefixed: mybb_par

In the second install:
User Related Tables are prefixed: mybb_par
Forum Related Tables are prefixed: mybb_chi

This logic works with another php based bb application. Except a coding/logic issue keeps overwriting forum related table data, where it shouldn't.
Not really understanding what you're doing or what the purpose of this is..can you explain a bit more?
(2011-02-23, 10:38 PM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]Not really understanding what you're doing or what the purpose of this is..can you explain a bit more?
Here's the example I used before.

Say, I want to run a site for muscle cars. Called "crank-yankers".
I'd like a main site for general discussions.

Chevy Fans and Ford Fans, don't get along.

So I'd like a complete section for Chevy Fans, and another for Ford fans, and say Goat Fans. Yet I'd like users to be able to move from board, to board, without have to re-register for each site.

Basically sharing the same users, over multiple boards, on one site.

Some websites have micro-sites.
I just call that a parent-website, with a child-website.

So looking for a parent-board, with children-boards, with the same users, logging in once per session/visit.

One php board I used, I got the user information to do that, by tweaking php/script variables. But a coding issue they have, overwrites/resets forum permissions, and requires more complex tweaking.

I just want something I can tweak, and use. Not having to spend more time debugging code, that's not mine, and I am not involved in supporting/debugging to see where it's going wrong, when the database should work.
I'm guessing this would require a few major code edits.
(2011-02-24, 12:19 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing this would require a few major code edits.
I'll do what I did with the other php based scripts. Do a test install, and see if the database structure is similar. If follows traditional BBS/Forum logic's, then it's a matter of seeing if the php scripts use hard coded references to the tables via a prefix, or global constants in a flat file via a prefix.

Just not in the mood to crawl through another sql dump, and test installs, and more sql dump crawling, if the base code/logic, isn't designed to flexible from a database perspective.