MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: change User CP options for all users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to change certain user options for all users, and then remove that option from the users control panel?
Without knowing which options you want to do this to I can only give you a general how to without any specifics.

You can change it using a database query to update all the users, then remove the option from the templates or edit it out of the core files or get a plugin to disable the options.

"database query"
hmmm... I am not to good with that.

Is it possible to set what should be the default for new users?

on a side note:
I believe it should be added in future releases the option to set all settings for users, and the option to disable some or all settings from user control panel, I think some admins would want to have finer control over user experience.
Also, I guess that most casual forum users would never even bother to customize their settings, which makes it even more important for admin to provide what he/she thinks is the best user experience.
(2011-02-24, 09:48 PM)JoeNewYork Wrote: [ -> ]"database query"
hmmm... I am not to good with that.

Is it possible to set what should be the default for new users?

By making edits to the templates or default database values.

(2011-02-24, 09:48 PM)JoeNewYork Wrote: [ -> ]on a side note:
I believe it should be added in future releases the option to set all settings for users, and the option to disable some or all settings from user control panel, I think some admins would want to have finer control over user experience.
Also, I guess that most casual forum users would never even bother to customize their settings, which makes it even more important for admin to provide what he/she thinks is the best user experience.

You already do have control over these things. The default profile is perfect for a majority of users, and if you want more control you can make the edits yourself. This is one of those "We can't give everyone everything they want" situations, which I recently ran into myself:

Quote:Source Sound Player was meant from the beginning to be the successor to Half-Life Sound Selector. The interface borrows heavily from its interface and the philosophy was meant to be the same: a simple, easy-to-use, accessible "sound selector." It's unfortunate then that after release I began to implement any and all ideas that I came across, both from the Facepunch thread I've been using as the main medium for communication and e-mails. While not immediately producing negative side effects, as development went on it became clear that I was losing track of Source Sound Player's founding philosophy in order to appeal to the community.

You can find the appropriate templates to edit under ACP -> Templates & Style -> Templates -> [Theme] -> User Control Panel Templates.
First, Thanks Steven for your reply.
I will have a look at the template, and see what I can do there.
(2011-02-25, 12:03 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]This is one of those "We can't give everyone everything they want" situations, which I recently ran into myself:

Already have control? How? via the database? I knew that, I was talking about a set of settings in the ACP.

(2011-02-25, 12:03 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]The default profile is perfect for a majority of users, This is one of those "We can't give everyone everything they want" situations.

I disagree,
The way I see it admins should have the
-option to chose a certain setting, or
-chose a default and leave it for the user to change.

In my humble opinion that's not too much to ask/want.

I dont think that we should make assumptions what the majority wants.