MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Chmod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Im posting yet again. I im looking at installing a mod for my forum and its all straight forward to install and then I read you must-

Chmod /root/uploads/awards/ to 777.

before I am able to activate it in the admin panal.

I am clueless to what this means. Can anyone help and give a description of what to do?

Im sure its as easy as everything else I have asked about.

Thanks
have you uploaded the files?
no not yet, I had to pay $10 to have access to paid plugins. Im waiting for the admin to add the permissions for me so I can download and upload the files.
Means you change the permissions to 777.
(2011-02-24, 06:20 PM)gcrock Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

Im posting yet again. I im looking at installing a mod for my forum and its all straight forward to install and then I read you must-

Chmod /root/uploads/awards/ to 777.

before I am able to activate it in the admin panal.

I am clueless to what this means. Can anyone help and give a description of what to do?

Im sure its as easy as everything else I have asked about.

Thanks
CHMOD is used to change the permissions on files and directories for a UNIX based Operating System.

Like making it: readable, write-able, see-able, can run programs (execute-able). On a PC machine, normally you can do that using windows explorer, and changing the properties.

If you use a program like CUTE-FTP, right click the file or directory, and right at the bottom you see where you can change the properties/CHMOD.

it does depend on your host setup though. certain setups do not work with 777 permissions (like those with suPHP and suHosin installed). You should check the permissions of an existing folder in the \uploads folder, such as \avatars, first and then match that setting for the \awards folder
Thanks guys, I understand it now.