MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 2.0 with API support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd like to see API support in MyBB default package. JSON support would be awesome and it would allow easier integration with other packages.

I know there is the older MyBBIntegrator class and another HTTP API that was started, but nothing official.
I... kind of agree. It would be a one of a kind feature that could set MyBB apart even further. How many would actually use it though?
VanillaForums actually has JSON support already built in.

as for who would use it?

anyone that wants to integrate MyBB with their site like into WordPress
anyone that wants to make plugins and simplify integration
anyone that wants to be able to authenticate a user from outside the forum
and more
and more...

(2011-02-25, 11:12 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]anyone that wants to integrate MyBB with their site like into WordPress
anyone that wants to make plugins and simplify integration
anyone that wants to be able to authenticate a user from outside the forum
and more
and more...

All of which is covered by the MyBB Integrator class.
i realize that, but if MyBB is built around the API then there is no need for a plugin. Plus MyBB 2.0 is a full rewrite so no plugins will work anyway and the Integrator package would need to be rewritten.
(2011-02-25, 11:44 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]i realize that, but if MyBB is built around the API then there is no need for a plugin.
...because sticking as much bloat into core that 90% of users probably will never use is wonderful, correct?
I do agree it would be a great feature, yet I see Yumi's point... I for one wouldn't really need it.
Share your resources server with API?
I dont think so Smile
But, still expected as separated feature
nothing to do with sharing your server resources. its about being able to access your MyBB install/data from other portions of your website or other places you want to allow access to your MyBB

using JSON with authentication (i.e. tokens/keys) means minimal, if any, impact from others using your resources. they can try to connect but that is it. Not any worse than having your website accessible to the public to begin with.
I'm against the replacement of a MyBB plugin system. It's proven to be useful and effective. Not that I'm against an API of some sort but not sure it should be written by MyBB. An integration class would be nice.
Pages: 1 2