MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Prevent Owner from being banned
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i dunno if this has been suggested before. i know Smetheads plugin can do this but if you disable the plugin it no longer works Toungue

so yeah anyways.

Preventing the banning of the owner of the forum outright would be a good idea.

maybe this has been suggested.? hmm.. i wouldn't know what to search for in the search box,
so if it has been suggested before im sorry.
The only problem with I can see with this is if the site is controlled by a team of Admin, who are all on equal ground. If one of them starts messing around, and he was the one who happened to create the forum (and therefore most likely who has access to the database) then he could not be banned.
If he has access to the database, what would be the point of banning him? If he got access to both mysql and ftp he can do whatever he wants anyways.
CraKteR Wrote:If he has access to the database, what would be the point of banning him? If he got access to both mysql and ftp he can do whatever he wants anyways.
Actually, provided no MyBB files on the server have been changed an admin only needs to have database access to be able to unban himself, should this ever occur.
I for myself think only really trusted people should have Admin CP access.
its quite simple for this to be effective

all you need to do is run a check on the original admins join date. this is how it works on Proboards forums.

only the user/admin with the original boards creation date as his join date can delete the board. and is unbannable by admins he has set.

DrPoodle Wrote:The only problem with I can see with this is if the site is controlled by a team of Admin, who are all on equal ground. If one of them starts messing around, and he was the one who happened to create the forum (and therefore most likely who has access to the database) then he could not be banned.

if this is the case then i say. TOUGH, the original site creator is usually the owner of the hosting as well (i say usually) and in this case the rest of the team can either buck it up and live with it or they can leave.
Actually, it's even simpler. The first admin's UID is always 2.
Galen Wrote:Actually, it's even simpler. The first admin's UID is always 2.
I'm pretty sure that's not true...my uid on my forum is 1, and the person with uid 2 was never an admin!
Well, mysql always starts on 1 when counting by itself so the first to register (which will be the one to install it) should always be 1.
Ah, you're correct. I forgot to account for the fact that I converted from phpBB where the first user's ID is 2. Well still, what I said holds true if the installer's ID is 1 be default.
Pages: 1 2