MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Blog or Forum? Which should I use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know this is a weird question but one that has been plaguing me for a while now. I treat my site like a blog but I like the format, functionality, features, and overall idea of a forum. I am just more comfortable with forums and find that any discussion can be handled better than with the comment system of any blog.

I originally started off with a blog for my personal site (Serendipity, then Wordpress) but then migrated to MyBB because I prefer forums over blogs in pretty much all aspects as I mentioned above. I used MyBB then added the MyBlog plugin which worked nicely but due to some critical bugs that the developer ignored I decided to move to bbPress which is a forum script that was made by the Wordpress team. Development fell through so I switched back to MyBB which I am currently using but am not happy with the "feel" of things and in order to provide any sort of organization I have to make the site look to "busy".

So what do you think I should do and why? I'm looking for some ideas or some suggestions from those more experienced than I.
Would take a bit of knowledge and modification of both Wordpress and MyBB, but you could have it that every time you post on your main wordpress blog, a thread is created in a specified forum on your MyBB board, with the title the same title as your blog post, and the content the same as the WP content. Then have a link on the Wordpress post (instead of a comment area) that links to the post on the MyBB forum, that way people can post and discuss with MyBB's robust community features, and not just a weak blog comment system. Best of both worlds: amazing blogging system in Wordpress, paired with THE BEST free community software out there. Smile
I was considering that. It wouldn't take much coding because I can use the RSS To Post plugin and pull the threads into the forum. I'm interested in hearing if others might have any other ideas I might be missing.
I'm personally a forum person aswell Toungue. I mean if you would like discussion to develope the best would probable be a forum. But, if it's more just providing your views and oponions or information a blog would probably be better.
The problem is that my site is 50/50. Half of it is just updates about my life and the other half is about web hosting, server management, Linux scripting, tutorials, etc... Maybe I should just divide my site into 2 different sites...
(2011-02-26, 06:50 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I should just divide my site into 2 different sites...

From a traffic/SEO point of view, that's your best option. People who come to read about web hosting probably don't care what you ate for breakfast.

The RSS idea isn't that great either, again with SEO, duplicate content, even on the same domain, is frowned upon.
I'm not to worried about SEO. It's not a business site or a money maker (even though it pulls in about $1/day), it's purely informational and a place for me to organize my thoughts. The tutorials are mostly for me in case I need to do the tasks again in the future (which I've used the site multiple times this week just for the creating a swap file Big Grin).

I'm liking the idea of splitting them up though, I have a nice domain going to waste that would be perfect. Big Grin
I'd recommend using the Page Manager plug in with MyBB. I used it and wrote a blog page by just adding 1 or 2 tables to my forum. You can then also include blog stats into your forum stats.Toungue
blog.yoursite.com Smile

Done.
You could Use IPB. IF you use IP.Content then you could set it so that when People comment on posts they are automatically added to the forum post as well. So they are synced basically.
Pages: 1 2