MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Recreating threads from old custom php forum in mybb...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just moved into a new forum created in mybb and we need to recreate a few threads from the old forum from which we came.

It was a custom php forum and there seems to be no decent way to tie the old database with the new, so I'm forced to recreate the threads via cut and paste text files, which is of course time consuming but it seems the only way, and thankfully there are only a few.

My questions are:

1. While I'm working on the recreation, can I hide the thread from members I'm working on until it's done?

2. As admin, can I post as the other members who participated so the correct avatars and signatures show up?

3. Can I modify the date and time stamps on the threads and posts so its not current, but rather shows when each post was actually made?

I was hoping someone else had been through this but could find no solid answers after much digging around here and elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.
JR

1. Put it in a forum they don't have access to, such as one where only mods can view.
2. First insert the data into mybb_users for each user you are importing. Then fill in the mybb_threads and mybb_posts with the correct info. Then you won't need to post as other members. I'm not sure if you can use the feature for transerfering forum data from one forum type to another.
3. If you know the actual time in seconds was you could. You should also be able to find that information on your old database in a table called threads or similar.
Hope this helps some.
(2011-02-26, 11:42 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]1. Put it in a forum they don't have access to, such as one where only mods can view.
2. First insert the data into mybb_users for each user you are importing. Then fill in the mybb_threads and mybb_posts with the correct info. Then you won't need to post as other members. I'm not sure if you can use the feature for transerfering forum data from one forum type to another.
3. If you know the actual time in seconds was you could. You should also be able to find that information on your old database in a table called threads or similar.
Hope this helps some.

Excellent and logical suggestions dragonexpert! Big Grin Thanks, I'll give it all my best shot and let everyone know how it worked out as I'm sure there are others who may face this from time to time.
(2011-02-27, 12:06 AM)JayRodney Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent and logical suggestions dragonexpert! Big Grin Thanks, I'll give it all my best shot and let everyone know how it worked out as I'm sure there are others who may face this from time to time.

Depending on the structure of the previous database, writing a script to transfer it all over would be fairly easy.