MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Installation error message
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to install MyBB 1.6.1 for the first time. I've tried a couple of times now, and I'm sure I'm following the instructions to the letter, right up to the point where I get an error message.

Anyway, I've uploaded the files using Filezilla into a Forum folder. But when I point my browser at
http://www.stephen-booth.com/Forum/install/
I get the error message:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /home/www/stephen-booth/Forum/inc/class_core.php on line 18

Can anyone help?
MyBB 1.6 requires PHP 5.1+ but your host still has PHP 4. PHP 5 should be available on all hosts these days.
You could try adding this to your .htaccess. This will only work if your host has PHP5 installed (but PHP 4 is running instead.)

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
works when I did it a whilst back:]
(2011-02-28, 10:54 AM)Joshua Mayer Wrote: [ -> ]You could try adding this to your .htaccess. This will only work if your host has PHP5 installed (but PHP 4 is running instead.)

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

Sorry to be dim, but I do I just open the .htaccess file and past the code in somewhere? Is 'AddType x-mapp-php5 .php' the right format with those spaces?

Thanks. Smile

You'd be better off seeing if your host even actually supports PHP 5 first, and if they do, they should just switch you to it properly...
(2011-02-28, 03:20 PM)stevebooth2001 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-28, 10:54 AM)Joshua Mayer Wrote: [ -> ]You could try adding this to your .htaccess. This will only work if your host has PHP5 installed (but PHP 4 is running instead.)

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
Add it at the bottom and copy and paste it exactly. As MattRogowski said it will only work if your host supports PHP 5.

Sorry to be dim, but I do I just open the .htaccess file and past the code in somewhere? Is 'AddType x-mapp-php5 .php' the right format with those spaces?

Thanks. Smile

Copy and Paste it and put it at the bottom.
(2011-02-28, 04:42 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]You'd be better off seeing if your host even actually supports PHP 5 first, and if they do, they should just switch you to it properly...

Do that too, but I know that for some weird reason, the host I use doesn't have it enabled by default. Toungue