MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New posts not showing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi there,

I have searched the forum, but found nothing on this subject, which makes me think that the problem may actually lay elsewhere.... anyway, hopefully I can get some advice on how to proceed...

For a few days now some users in my forum are not seeing their posts published... then they type it again and both get published... Waiting doesn't seem to help.

One member has found an interesting way to access them...
Click "view new posts"
Click on a username
Click on "view all posts"
then the missing posts appear...

Any ideas? The problem is that I cannot mimic it as everything is fine at my end...

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Can you get more info from the users experiencing this problem like what browsers they're using?

Also the next time this problem arises, ask the user to not go through the above sequence to make the post appear, ask them to contact you immediately and then you can login to phpmyadmin and check if the post is actually there in the database posts table or not.

OK, thanks. I will impart the new instructions straight away and will update you later.
(2011-02-28, 08:24 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Also the next time this problem arises, ask the user to not go through the above sequence to make the post appear, ask them to contact you immediately and then you can login to phpmyadmin and check if the post is actually there in the database posts table or not.

Hem... I have logged on as administrator of the forum, but I am not sure if that is the same as checking phpmyadmin... mostly because I am not clear where I am supposed to see the posts. I mean, I can see the various sections of the forum and the settings, but that's it. All I can see regarding the messages is that in all the sections of forum there are "0 unapproved messages".
URL?? Test account?? It's not like the posts get queued before they go into the database or anything...
(2011-02-28, 12:08 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]URL?? Test account??
URL of the forum?
autosvezzamento.it
Test account... no idea...
(2011-02-28, 12:08 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]It's not like the posts get queued before they go into the database or anything...
I am not sure... It might be. Today it hasn't happened yet, though.

Two users are with Safari (Ver. 4 and 5) and one is with Google Chrome (whose user said she had to wait over 12 hours to see her post and the following replies)
(2011-02-28, 12:50 PM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]URL of the forum?
autosvezzamento.it

I'm asking for login details of a test account that we can use...

(2011-02-28, 12:50 PM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-28, 12:08 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]It's not like the posts get queued before they go into the database or anything...
I am not sure... It might be. Today it hasn't happened yet, though.

Two users are with Safari (Ver. 4 and 5) and one is with Google Chrome (whose user said she had to wait over 12 hours to see her post and the following replies)

No that's what I'm saying, posts don't get queued, they're inserted straight away, they're not going to be held in a queue for 12 hours before they're actually inserted and made visible.
(2011-02-28, 01:09 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-28, 12:50 PM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]URL of the forum?
autosvezzamento.it

I'm asking for login details of a test account that we can use...

Hi again,

thanks for the reply, but I am not sure I know what you are talking about... As you may well imagine, I am not well acquainted with what is behind a MyBB forum, so if you can tell me more precisely what you need, I will be more than happy to comply.

Undecided I'm just asking for you to create a new user account, post the login details for it here, so we can login to your forum to test the problem.
Admin CP > Forums & Posts > Moderation Queue

Anything there?
I just looked at the headers that your site is sending out and discovered this:

Cache-Control: max-age=86400

Usually browsers will not cache pages that have query strings since they're assumed to be dynamic but since you're using seo urls, there are no query strings and thus the browser ends up caching the page for 86400 seconds and as such any changes in the page such as new posts will not show up.

To confirm whether this problem is caused by cache, next time your users run in to this problem, ask them to do a Ctrl+F5 to refresh the page and not load it from cache. Another way to confirm this would be to add a random query string (like ?random=blahblah) to the end of the url which will override the browser from caching it.

If the above methods confirm this to be a cache problem then you'll have to disable caching on the server. This can done a number of ways depending on how the cache is setup. You can either change it in htaccess or add a no-cache meta tag to the header.
Pages: 1 2 3 4