MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Import Membership from Yahoo Group?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it possible to import the members directory from an existing Yahoo Group to MyBB? If so, what is the process?

Thanks in advance.
I don't believe there is a way to do this.
Yahoo group does not allow exporting their data (especially the members data) so no clean integration is possible.
Aarib217, I was afraid it would have to be by hand and labor intensive.

G33K, I was able to export as what seems to be a comma delineated format and have it now as a XLS file.
(2011-03-01, 03:26 AM)daklander Wrote: [ -> ]Aarib217, I was afraid it would have to be by hand and labor intensive.

G33K, I was able to export as what seems to be a comma delineated format and have it now as a XLS file.

What information is in the csv file? Does it have emails and passwords too or just the usernames?
Quote:What information is in the csv file? Does it have emails and passwords too or just the usernames?

I can export the members as usernames and email as well as the primary directory with names, addresses & etc in two separate CSV files for conversion, if necessary, to XLS.
Quote:What information is in the csv file? Does it have emails and passwords too or just the usernames?

I can export the members as usernames and email as well as the primary directory with names, addresses & etc in two separate CSV files for conversion, if necessary, to XLS.

Oh, no passwords.
Like I said before, no clean integration. You'll have to have one script that imports all the users in using the csv export from yahoo, this is the easy part.

The next step you'll need to have a script/plugin that will generate new passwords and allow you to email your new imported users the generated password which they can then use to login/change their password

Not sure if anyone has done this before, I'll move this to merge forum to see if anyone there might give you pointers.
(2011-03-02, 09:36 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Like I said before, no clean integration. You'll have to have one script that imports all the users in using the csv export from yahoo, this is the easy part.

The next step you'll need to have a script/plugin that will generate new passwords and allow you to email your new imported users the generated password which they can then use to login/change their password

Not sure if anyone has done this before, I'll move this to merge forum to see if anyone there might give you pointers.

OK, thank you. I appreciate it.
This is possible, but not with the merge system.

Step 1: Download your csv file of the members.
Step 2: Using phpMyAdmin (preferably with a new db, but can be in your MyBB db if you can only have one) import it with your options set as in my screenshot below. That is you need the separator set to a comma, and the fields enclosed by set to a single quote.
[attachment=21806]
Step 3: Now you will have a TABLE 1, and the columns in the table will be named COL 1, COL 2, and so on. Click on TABLE 1 in the left hand pane, and using the tabs along the top of the right hand pane choose Structure.
Step 4: Since all we can use are username and email address, which are COL 1 and COL 2 respectively, click the "Check All" link at the bottom and then uncheck COL 1 and COL 2. From the options along the bottom choose the large red X for delete/drop (You may have a drop down box instead of icons, if so choose delete or drop from it). Now your TABLE 1 only has COL 1 and COL 2.
Step 5: Next to COL 1 in the structure view is a row of icons, the one that looks like a pencil allows you to edit the column name. Do so, change it to from COL 1 to username. Repeat with COL 2 changing it to email.
Step 6: Devise some way to copy the data over, probably a php script... which could be easier if you imported into the same db as mybb, since we could do it all using MyBB's built in db connection.
(2011-03-02, 04:06 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]This is possible, but not with the merge system.

Step 1: Download your csv file of the members.
Step 2: Using phpMyAdmin (preferably with a new db, but can be in your MyBB db if you can only have one) import it with your options set as in my screenshot below. That is you need the separator set to a comma, and the fields enclosed by set to a single quote.

Step 3: Now you will have a TABLE 1, and the columns in the table will be named COL 1, COL 2, and so on. Click on TABLE 1 in the left hand pane, and using the tabs along the top of the right hand pane choose Structure.
Step 4: Since all we can use are username and email address, which are COL 1 and COL 2 respectively, click the "Check All" link at the bottom and then uncheck COL 1 and COL 2. From the options along the bottom choose the large red X for delete/drop (You may have a drop down box instead of icons, if so choose delete or drop from it). Now your TABLE 1 only has COL 1 and COL 2.
Step 5: Next to COL 1 in the structure view is a row of icons, the one that looks like a pencil allows you to edit the column name. Do so, change it to from COL 1 to username. Repeat with COL 2 changing it to email.
Step 6: Devise some way to copy the data over, probably a php script... which could be easier if you imported into the same db as mybb, since we could do it all using MyBB's built in db connection.

Thank you Dylan. It wil be a day or three before I will have a chance to give this a shot. An additional db won't be an issue.
Pages: 1 2