MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: do I really have to use categories?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
do I really have to use categories?
I dont want to use categories, just three forums.
But when I try to create a forum i get an error saying that I have to select a parent for the forum.
is there no way around?
why?
No, there's no way around it. It's how forums work. Just put the three forums you want in a category... it can't show the headers etc if it's not in a category.
(2011-03-02, 12:51 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]No, there's no way around it. It's how forums work. Just put the three forums you want in a category... it can't show the headers etc if it's not in a category.

So I created a category "forums" (cant come up with something else, since they are totally unrelated) now the breadcrumb is forums>forums>my forum name

How dull

In my opinion the requirement to place forums in a category is unnecessary and should be eliminated.
All forums are like that. It keeps things structured and organised, as well as telling the user what content type is in the forums listed under each category.
(2011-03-02, 06:37 PM)JoeNewYork Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion the requirement to place forums in a category is unnecessary and should be eliminated.

(2011-03-02, 06:40 PM)Shukaku Wrote: [ -> ]All forums are like that. It keeps things structured and organised, as well as telling the user what content type is in the forums listed under each category.

If I remember correctly, phpBB allows parentless forums. It's pretty handy when you're adding one forum up top for a specific usergroup, etcetera.

However, organization is key and you should be able to categorize every forum you add.