MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why e-mail activation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2011-03-03, 04:43 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]if a user does not get the activation email, they can always come back to the site and request it.

however you will need to make regular checks of your servers status with regard to blacklists so that visitors can get the emails

you can also use forum cleaner plugin that will clean up unactivated users

I don't think they will come back though. That's the problem. I feel the window of opportunity once you've captured a potential user's attention is quite small. It seemed like 50% of my accounts were unactivated, so I'd like to see how this goes ...
I could enter my email as [email protected] You have no way to contact me.
(2011-03-03, 04:53 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]I could enter my email as [email protected] You have no way to contact me.

If you don't want me to contact you, then what business do I have contacting you anyway?
What if someone enter a real email address that does not belong to the the forum user itself?
(2011-03-03, 06:38 PM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]What if someone enter a real email address that does not belong to the the forum user itself?

I send e-mails almost never and this is a problem as well for pretty much every mailing list ever made.
Quote:this is a problem as well for pretty much every mailing list

That's why mailing lists also require email activation, and also they send along unubscription instructions with every mail. Both of these are standard features for mailing lists.
if mailing lists require e-mail activation why do i get so many e-mails i never signed up for? lol

as for unsubscription links, yeah, i hear you on this one.
(2011-03-03, 07:40 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]if mailing lists require e-mail activation why do i get so many e-mails i never signed up for? lol

See, that's exactly the problem - the lists that do not require activation (should be the exception not the rule), turn into spam lists. That's why most lists do require emails to be verified first.
I think a more balanced approach would be to allow users to register with instant activation but not use their emails in any way, not for subscriptions, not for user-to-user emails, not for password reset, nothing. You could even restrict some features that require email communication.
Keep showing them a message that they have an unverified email and that they should verify it. Verifying it would then send an activation email which they click on so that the email can start getting used.

This way you can have users join and start interacting immediately and if they decide to stay, activate their email. Part of it can be taken care of the awaiting actiation group but then you'd need a plugin for the other stuff.
Pages: 1 2