MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Create new forum page does not resolve, Forums visible regardless of permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello Everyone,
I'm new here. I searched the archives for about 2 hours and couldn't find a solution so here goes. Unfortunately I cannot provide a link to my site because it's a corporate private Beta.

After a database migration to a new server I've started to see various issues with my forum (the ancient 1.2.9 - SORRY) Even if you can't help me because my version is too old, please advise on whether or not this issue persists in version 1.6.1. The following is all running in FireFox 3.6.13

Issue 1: Create New Forum action doesn't completely resolve.
Steps to repro:
1. Under forum management select "Manage Forums"
2. Click "Create New Forum"
3. Name forum, etc. add permissions etc.
4. Click "Add Forum"
5. Observe that "New Forum Created Successfully" message does not appear. I simply get a blank window.
6. Observe that new forum does not appear in admin control panel or on forum until you perform an action that DOES completely resolve like "Update Forum Orders."

Issue 2: After database migration, newly created forums are visible regardless of user permissions
Steps to repro:
1. Assign user A to Group A
2. Create forum that only allows members of group B to view, post
3. Login as user A
4. Observe the ability to view, post in forums that should not be visible to users in Group A

This is a pretty glaring issue so if you've seen it, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Lord Beta
Well first, we don't support the 1.2 series anymore. But I can assure you that these issues do not occur in 1.6. I don't see why you haven't upgraded, there have been TONS of security fixes.
If you need help upgrading let us know.
I suggest you update to MyBB 1.6, as we no longer support 1.2, and upgrading may fix your issue.
Why didn't you at least stay updated to 1.2.14...?? You've missed 4 security releases on the 1.2 series alone, let alone ones for the 1.4 and 1.6 series. The permissions system works, and it worked on 1.2, so you've probably just got a misconfiguration somewhere, you'll need to upgrade in order to get support.
Thanks for the quick responses. It's a long story but ultimately, we have not upgraded for fear of data loss. I'll continue to look for a solution and report back if I find anything.

Thanks again!

William
Backup - then upgrade.
(2011-03-03, 06:28 PM)Lord Beta Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the quick responses. It's a long story but ultimately, we have not upgraded for fear of data loss.

That's precisely what backups are for. If you have a file and database backup saved on your computer, even if your server is attacked by a nuclear warhead, it won't matter, as you've got everything saved on your computer.
(2011-03-03, 06:38 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]even if your server is attacked by a nuclear warhead
This gave me a good laugh Toungue

@OP: I don't think you'll get further support until you upgrade to a supported version. MyBB 1.2 is ridiculously out of date, it's a wonder you've not been hacked at all.
You have to leave one of the permission boxes checked, such as "User can modify his own posts", which is pointless if the user can't post. It is harmless to leave checked, and it may fool your glitch.
Iran into this on version 1.4 and am guessing that that is what you are running into.

You really should backup you folders and database, then upgrade, though. It's not as scary as it sounds.
Pages: 1 2