MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PMs Didn't Merge Properly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
All of the pms that I merged--including received, sent, and draft--ended up on MyBB in the "sent" folder and are unreadable. See the image below.

Would someone give me insight into how to fix this problem? This could kill the merge for us. Undecided

[Image: pm_problem.jpg]

Can this be fixed by running the following?

UPDATE `mybb_privatemessages` SET `readtime` = '1' WHERE `readtime` = 0 AND `folder` != 2;
UPDATE `mybb_privatemessages` SET `status` = '1' WHERE `status` = 0 AND `folder` != 2;
No, it cannot. Its a flaw in the merge code, and the fix depends on which forum you're currently running.
I moved from vBulletin 3.7.
Might there be a standard fix for this?
It isn't something you can fix post-merge, the code itself for detecting which folder they're in on vB3.7 needs fixed, so it detects them correctly.

I don't see why PMs are such a big issue... most users don't keep all their PMs anyways. But, I'll look into fixing this when my home server is fully operational again. Its still doing updates for the past 6 months since I had to re-install last night after a combination software corruption (my fault) and a bad stick of RAM that I replaced causing the system to crash. Only about 1500 more updates to go - sigh.
Ouch. Sorry that happened. Sad

So is there really nothing I can do with the site that I already merged?
There is no way for you to detect which PMs were where once the merge is complete, since the folder data from the old db is gone.

There may be a way to detect folders for sent item, but I would need access to your MyBB database to have a look and see.
Arg. That's very frustrating. The usergroups and forum permissions also did not merge properly. As a result, I spent around 15 hours manually resetting every user's title and group, as well as every usergroup's permissions to every forum (and I'm a volunteer).

I'm just the forum guy--I don't make the decisions. However, if there's really no way to make our current project merge with our 400,000 post community, I seriously doubt that I will be able to convince my bosses to merge our 2 million post community. Sad

The CEO of our company is masterful with databases and all things technical. Is there any way you would consider speaking with him via Skype and helping him identify the problem? If it were my own site, I would happily give you database access, but that is not my decision to make. If so, send me an email and I'll set up a time: [email protected].
Perhaps the best option would be to just find all the bugs in the merge system so I can fix them Smile
Then there just wont be these issues to begin with.

Though the only way you'd have that group issue that I can see, is if the stock groups got modified somehow. One other user had that problem too, but I think that was with phpBB3.
Part of this had to do with the number of usergroups that we had (60+). The problems we encountered were as follows:

1. Users were not assigned usergroups. I had to manually assign 614 users to 60+ usergroups.
2. The forumpermissions cache remained empty, no matter how many times we rebuilt it. Quadrupling our allocated memory solved this problem. My boss is still shocked that it is so memory intensive.
3. Extreme sluggishness, first in the ACP and then on the forums. Deleting some usergroups and running a couple of SQL queries from Matt Rogowski made the ACP snappier, but the forums themselves were much slower than they were on vB3.7 until we optimized our server.
4. The pm problem described above.

We were able to deal with most of the problems above. As aforementioned, I manually corrected the usergroups and pruned a number of them. We optimized Nginx with memcached to deal with the slowness. We increased the memory allocation to deal with the forumpermissions cache. Thus, we've done our best to smooth over any shortcomings. However, I'm completely lost when it comes to making the pms read properly. Any help that you might offer would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a huge advocate of MyBB. Help me prove it to the boss. Big Grin
Unfortunately I can't help with 2 & 3, as they're from MyBB itself, not from the Merge System.

I'm going to create a test vB 3 forum sometime in the near future so I can delve into these issues, however I have so many things on right now that I cannot give a firm date for this.
Pages: 1 2