MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A better shoutbox for mybb ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi
I tested many shoutbox available for mybb: myshoutbox, blueimp ajx chat, extra file chatbox
But all of theĆ¹ are lacking many features available for other borad softwares, like:

- A notification sound whenever a shout is sent
- A read write permissions based on groups
- Edit the shout
- A bot shouting notifications about new posts and replies
- Inline smilies
- BBcode, font colors
...etc
Here is a list of features from mchat, a good shoutbox for phpbb

Quote:# Admin can set the settings of the chat in the ACP
# Admin can set permissions of who can use what on a per group or per user basis
# Admin can set rules in the ACP
# Admin can set bbcodes to not use in the ACP
# Admin can set flood control in the ACP
# Admin can set auto prune feature in the ACP
# Admin can choose to display who is chatting on the index page
# Admin can choose to set the display of the chat on the index page above or below the forum listing as well as a custom page
# Admin can set the height of the chat
# Admin can set refresh time for both the chat as well as the stats
# Input area for chat messages will autogrow
# Chat will not allow submission of chat more than once
# Chat uses regular as well as custom bbcodes
# Chat uses regular smilies
# Users can choose several options in the UCP for the chat
# Add-on new posts will get posted into the chat message when made
# Admin can choose to have avatars displayed or not (users also have this ability if set to be viewed in the ACP)

Here is a screenshot:
[Image: 4t29as.gif]
UP Blush
Any one willing to make such a shoutbox
mybb is the best board system but it is realy lacking a good shoutbox
Shout/Chat boxes are forum killers.
(2011-03-18, 10:06 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]Shout/Chat boxes are forum killers.

I agree, if you have a shout box it will just take away from posting on the forum. If you really need a chat system it would be better to use IRC or something similar anyways.
As Jammerx2 said, anything wanting to be discussed on the forum can be done on the shoutbox easily, which ruins statistics.
(2011-03-18, 10:06 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]Shout/Chat boxes are forum killers.
Not true if there is
1- a permission system for the shoutbox: Not everyone can write on the shout ! only active members who post regularly on the forum
2- The board is aiming toward academic articles which cant be post on shoutbox !!!
3- A warning message on the top of shoutbox stating that academic discussion are not allowed on shoutbox
Any way, I had an experience of 3 years with phpbb. My board was very active (many posts and threads) because of the shoutbox.
Shoutbox was just like a cafe. After doing our jobs, we meet in the cafe !!!!

@ AJS
Thanks for link
Unfortunately, this shoutbox lacks an advanced permission system
(2011-03-19, 02:33 PM)katib Wrote: [ -> ]Not true if there is
1- a permission system for the shoutbox: Not everyone can write on the shout ! only active members who post regularly on the forum
2- The board is aiming toward academic articles which cant be post on shoutbox !!!
3- A warning message on the top of shoutbox stating that academic discussion are not allowed on shoutbox
Any way, I had an experience of 3 years with phpbb. My board was very active (many posts and threads) because of the shoutbox.

@ AJS
Thanks for link
Even then it's a forum killer. It stops people posting the things they say in the shoutbox, thus reducing post count. There's no use for shoutbox's in my opinion.
(2011-03-19, 06:47 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-03-19, 02:33 PM)katib Wrote: [ -> ]Not true if there is

@ AJS
Thanks for link
Even then it's a forum killer. It stops people posting the things they say in the shoutbox, thus reducing post count. There's no use for shoutbox's in my opinion.

IMHO Posting is more forum killer as compared to shoutbox. If you see some queries running in showthread pages, you might identify the difference. Only the [Image: arrow_down.gif] thing runs a nasty sql query.
Pages: 1 2