MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Looking for cheap hosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2011-08-25, 08:46 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I won't say they are all bad companies(the fact that they're so big show's they are doing something right). But, doesn't mean everyone has a great experience. Just like with most things people who have bad experiences are more vocal than those who have good ones. I will still take word of mouth over reviews though because most of the top google searches are paid spots.

There has been many cases of smaller hosts going out of their way to talk orange on the bigger hosts just to decrease their popularity. With large shared hosts, you have reliability since they have well over 100,000 web hosting accounts and their own data center typically. With the smaller self managed hosts that are advertised on this forum, there is nothing stopping them from packing up and bailing after 12 months when they get bored.
Hello,

We are a small company but are completely managed. We have very affordable plans and great uptime. Check us out at https://www.HostOwnage.com

Thank you.
@all saying to raise the budget:
I'm running the forum in my signature on a $30/year VPS, so why is good shared hosting at the same price not possible?
Server costs: $250/Month
Licences for host: $60/monthish
Staff wages: $XXX
Average clients per shared server = 80 that means those 80 clients have to pay for the licences, the server and some of the staff.

310/80 = $3.875 per month per client. Each client must bring in $3.88 a month just to break even.
$250/month server costs must mean you rent servers. If you keep the server more than 2-4 months you should be collocating your own server as a $250/month server is usually around $750 to buy. The host I have the $30/year VPS from owns their hardware.
$750 to buy? No way. Don't know what server you are thinking about but if you want to be at least a decent webhost you can't be buying a $750 server and putting paying clients on it. I minimum in my opinion for a shared server is Quad-core, 24GB of RAM, 2 x 1TB hard drive, 100Mbit uplink. Shared resources are going to be abused therefore you want to have enough so if there is an abuser he doesn't effect you to badly.
PM if you want a shared hosting account.
(2011-08-30, 10:00 AM)Conor Calby Wrote: [ -> ]$750 to buy? No way. Don't know what server you are thinking about but if you want to be at least a decent webhost you can't be buying a $750 server and putting paying clients on it. I minimum in my opinion for a shared server is Quad-core, 24GB of RAM, 2 x 1TB hard drive, 100Mbit uplink. Shared resources are going to be abused therefore you want to have enough so if there is an abuser he doesn't effect you to badly.

Intel Xeon E3-1220
16GB RAM (24gb is hard to find for that CPU at any cost)
2x1tb
and it was around $800

(2011-08-30, 10:00 AM)Conor Calby Wrote: [ -> ]$750 to buy? No way. Don't know what server you are thinking about but if you want to be at least a decent webhost you can't be buying a $750 server and putting paying clients on it. I minimum in my opinion for a shared server is Quad-core, 24GB of RAM, 2 x 1TB hard drive, 100Mbit uplink. Shared resources are going to be abused therefore you want to have enough so if there is an abuser he doesn't effect you to badly.

Now most good webhosting companys use cloudlinux so other clients are not affected by abusers.
(2011-08-25, 05:00 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Then you're the exception to the rule. Every single unlimited host I've ever been with has sucked and plenty of others have agreed.

Well not sure if you've used HostGator, but they are an unlimited webhost and I've used them for around 3-4 years with no downtime, awesome speed, excellent support and great features.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5