MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Anyway to limit open connections?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been having a problem with members being black listed by the server firewall for too many open connections. My host says that each member is allowed 30 connections before they get blocked as a suspected DDoS attacker. Then I have to email the host to check for blocked IP addresses when the members discover that they are unable to access the forum.

The host says that the forum software may be opening too many connections so my question is how to limit connections? I can't have my members being blocked! Any ideas or advice?
how many of the blocked users are using "turbo mode" or otherwise "prefetching" the links? that will cause excessive connections from their browser.

also, I know you have a lot of plugins, but the DB connection is a single one that it reused throughout a page generation. However, every file being called (image, php, html, css, js) is a connection to the server. You may need to spend some time merging and minifying your CSS and JS.
(2011-03-08, 03:52 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]how many of the blocked users are using "turbo mode" or otherwise "prefetching" the links? that will cause excessive connections from their browser.

also, I know you have a lot of plugins, but the DB connection is a single one that it reused throughout a page generation. However, every file being called (image, php, html, css, js) is a connection to the server. You may need to spend some time merging and minifying your CSS and JS.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be a big issue, but occasionally, I get several emails from different members all at the same time...as if there was a forum event that blocked several people all at once. I'm not sure what could cause it?

What is turbo mode? Forum side or member side? Also, what can I do to reduce the connections by merging CSS and JS? I'm not very familiar with these techniques.

Paveman, your forum is huge...do you ever experience blocked IP's? Or are you on VPS or dedicated?
I am on a dedicated server for my 5 sites. Only PS.com is large, the others are tiny by comparison.

"Turbo mode" is an Opera browser specific term. Not sure what it is called in other browsers, but basically its a client side "feature" of a browser. When you go to a page, the browser starts fetching all the links on the page while you read so that when you click a link on the page, much of the content is already in the cache for the user.

Merging CSS and JS can take some effort to implement though. Plus is add more content to download that is not needed.

However, if only a few people are experiencing the issue, then its most likely the browser pre fetching data or they are browsing your site over multiple tabs/windows
Cool, thanks...I will just monitor the situation for now and see what develops. Hopefully it is just random like you said.

If these browsers are prefetching links...is there anyway to block that yet?
(2011-03-08, 06:18 PM)RocketFoot Wrote: [ -> ]Cool, thanks...I will just monitor the situation for now and see what develops. Hopefully it is just random like you said.

If these browsers are prefetching links...is there anyway to block that yet?

no real way to solve the issue you have. since its client side you cant stop it, but you can block the requests at your end for firefox and google users, but its still an HTTP request, they just are not getting past .htaccess
This doesn't seem to be anything to do with MyBB itself at all... this is a server setting blocking people from the server, it's not specific to MyBB.
Unless you are making them send many requests (AJAX features such as a shoutbox) there is nothing you can do to reduce the number of requests from your end. If your host bans normal forum users you have to go switch to another hosting package
I have friendly redirects turned off...do you think that could cause extra open connections? My forum is fast! With the redirects off, you can cruise from page to page quite quickly.
I just got this error while speeding around the forums...

Quote:SQL Error:
1203 - User bigmackt_rocket already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections
Query:
[READ] Unable to connect to MySQL server

Any ideas what caused it and how to prevent?
Pages: 1 2