MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: forumfolder?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
CPanel isn't in your AdminCP, its actually in your hosting account.
OK, I MAY have found it.

I went into the File Manager found through my IP and followed this path:
autosvezzamento.it/forum/install

where I found the file

lock

which contains only a
. Do I just delete or rename it? Will have have to put it back once finished?
The path is not quite what you indicated, though.

I am losing the wioll to live here...

UPDATE

OK, I have taken the plunge and renamed the "lock" file "slock". Now when I go to
http://www.autosvezzamento.it/forumfolde...pgrade.php
or
http://www.autosvezzamento.it/install/upgrade.php
still says "...not found"

If instead I go here:
http://www.autosvezzamento.it/forum/install/upgrade.php
I get this:

Quote:Welcome

Welcome to the upgrade wizard for MyBB 1.4.11.

Before you continue, please make sure you know which version of MyBB you were previously running as you will need to select it below.

We strongly recommend that you also obtain a complete backup of your database and files before attempting to upgrade so if something goes wrong you can easily revert back to the previous version. Also, ensure that your backups are complete before proceeding.

Make sure you only click Next ONCE on each step of the upgrade process. Pages may take a while to load depending on the size of your forum.

Once you are ready, please select your old version below and click Next to continue.

(A drop down menu with the versions up to and including 1.4.10 follows.)

which seems rather pointless as I already have 1.4.11.

Doesn't seem right, does it...

FURTHER UPDATE

The file "lock" seems necessafry, as without it I cannot access the forum. So for now I have named it back "lock" (and not "slock").

I wonder, am I being VERY dense or do you really need to be a rocket scientist to operate this thing?
Your forum is in a folder called 'forum', that's what you replace forumfolder with, because that's the folder your forum is in. We don't know what folder everybody's forum is in, so we just say 'forumfolder' and you change this to what it needs to be. You're basically just adding /install/index.php to the URL that you always access your forum with, that's all.

If the upgrade script is still saying 1.4.11, then you've not uploaded the new files so they overwrite the old ones. The new files need to replace the old ones.

Yes, the lock file is necessary unless you're actually using the install folder, the lock file stops the install folder being accessed when it shouldn't be.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to upgrade, but if you're doing things with the file system etc you do need a basic understanding of how file managers etc work.
(2011-03-08, 07:54 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Your forum is in a folder called 'forum', that's what you replace forumfolder with, because that's the folder your forum is in. We don't know what folder everybody's forum is in, so we just say 'forumfolder' and you change this to what it needs to be. You're basically just adding /install/index.php to the URL that you always access your forum with, that's all.
Thanks for clarifying that, but I don't think the question was that silly as the instructions tell you that
Quote:Go to www.yourdomain.com/forumfolder/install/upgrade.php, replacing 'yourdomain.com' with your actual URL. If your forum is not in its own folder, then remove forumfolder/ from the URL.
It may be obvious to an expert user, but a novice like me takes it at face value... as it tells you explicitly that yourdomain.com is just a random name, but it doesn't say anything about forumfolder, install or upgrade, why should I think they are not real names?
(2011-03-08, 07:54 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]If the upgrade script is still saying 1.4.11, then you've not uploaded the new files so they overwrite the old ones. The new files need to replace the old ones.
OK, Indeed I have not uploaded the files yet. I am just doing my homework, so that I can run everything in one go (he says...)
(2011-03-08, 07:54 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]You don't need to be a rocket scientist to upgrade, but if you're doing things with the file system etc you do need a basic understanding of how file managers etc work.
Indeed, but, if I may say so, it is not clear who they had in mind when they wrote the various help files. At times it looks as if they are directed to people like me, while other times (in the same file) to people with a much better understanding of how things work.

Thanks a lot.

One more question (for now), how long should the update process take, assuming everything goes well?
Well, everybody running a forum needs some understanding of how to upload files etc. I've added another sentence or two to the Wiki page, but realistically there's only so much details we can go into explaining things like this before we just start sounding patronising.

For a forum your size, the upgrade should take no longer than 5-10 minutes to run through, at most. Remember to deactivate plugins first.
One more quick question...

The following has been taken again from "beginning the upgrade":
Quote:4....For extra protection, CHMOD ./inc/config.php to 644 if it isn't already.
I have found the file but I am not sure how I am supposed to check for/enter the command indicated.

Note: I have not run the update yet. I am still trying to understand how it goes before taking the plunge.

Thanks again.
(2011-03-08, 09:34 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Well, everybody running a forum needs some understanding of how to upload files etc. I've added another sentence or two to the Wiki page, but realistically there's only so much details we can go into explaining things like this before we just start sounding patronising.
Please, feel free to patronise me as much as you likeSmile
(2011-03-08, 09:34 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]For a forum your size, the upgrade should take no longer than 5-10 minutes to run through, at most. Remember to deactivate plugins first.
Great!
(2011-03-09, 07:45 AM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]One more quick question...

Quote:4....For extra protection, CHMOD ./inc/config.php to 644 if it isn't already.
I have found the file but I am not sure how I am supposed to check for/enter the command indicated.

The option to change permissions is usually found on the same menu that you use to move, copy, delete, edit, etc. a file. In some hosts, it's as simple as right-clicking the file and choosing "change permissions."
(2011-03-09, 10:38 AM)taylor_smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-03-09, 07:45 AM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]One more quick question...

The option to change permissions is usually found on the same menu that you use to move, copy, delete, edit, etc. a file. In some hosts, it's as simple as right-clicking the file and choosing "change permissions."
Hi there,

right click doesn't seem to help. However when I select that file I get some drop down menus. One is called "permissions" and it opens a new window that at the moment is set like this:

...............Read          Write          Run
Users..........x...............x
Groups........x
Others.........x    
(the dots are there just to keep the alignment)
When I carry out the update, shall I just check that the layout is the same as this?
Actually, looks like it's already 644.
Pages: 1 2