MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Earthquake rocked northeast Japan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2011-03-11, 09:23 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]I really didn't know tsunamis were that powerful.

They can be incredibly powerful. It may look like they're moving quite slowly in the videos but there's an immense amount of force behind them.

Whenever I see things like this I just can't get my head around the sheer vastness of the destruction. This is where every country that is able to should just forget any political issues or anything else and just send all they have to get them back on their feet.
I also read, that this earthquake moved the earth's axis by 10cm
Water typically weighs 1gram/ml, so 1 kilogram per litre. Imagine a wave 6 meters high... That's some serious weight. Even moving at only 10km/hr that is some serious force. Water is also incompressible because of it's density, so when it hits a building or object, the water behind keeps pushing. That's why tsunamis are so powerful.
Yeah, a cubic metre of water weighs 1 tonne. For comparison a car weighs like 1-2 tonnes or so, depending on size, so if you image the size of these waves and how long they go on for, it's just an unstoppable force.
(2011-03-11, 10:32 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Water typically weighs 1gram/ml, so 1 kilogram per litre. Imagine a wave 6 meters high... That's some serious weight. Even moving at only 10km/hr that is some serious force. Water is also incompressible because of it's density, so when it hits a building or object, the water behind keeps pushing. That's why tsunamis are so powerful.

And at full force, they are moving about 500 mph (the speed of a commercial jet engine).
Off Oregon/Washington coast, nothing really happened. More concerned about the horrific situation in Japan.
(2011-03-11, 10:56 PM)Spencer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-03-11, 10:32 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Water typically weighs 1gram/ml, so 1 kilogram per litre. Imagine a wave 6 meters high... That's some serious weight. Even moving at only 10km/hr that is some serious force. Water is also incompressible because of it's density, so when it hits a building or object, the water behind keeps pushing. That's why tsunamis are so powerful.

And at full force, they are moving about 500 mph (the speed of a commercial jet engine).

but only in deep open ocean. as they near shore they slow down and the wave height and wave length increase. so its not like a regular 30ft wave either, its a 30ft wave that can be miles deep (as it front to back)

the main tsunami to inundate northern Japan went in up to 10km (almost 6 miles) and threw debris on the top of a 2.5 story building. Many towns are completely wiped off the face of the earth.
(2011-03-11, 11:06 PM)wmc Wrote: [ -> ]Off Oregon/Washington coast, nothing really happened. More concerned about the horrific situation in Japan.

in southern OR and pars of CA, docks were wiped out and a large percentage of the boats were damaged or destroyed. Also, 4 people in Northern CA were washed away and presumed killed while trying to watch the tsunami here.
All I can say is that my prayers are going out to people involved with this.
(2011-03-11, 10:09 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-03-11, 09:23 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]I really didn't know tsunamis were that powerful.

They can be incredibly powerful. It may look like they're moving quite slowly in the videos but there's an immense amount of force behind them.

Whenever I see things like this I just can't get my head around the sheer vastness of the destruction. This is where every country that is able to should just forget any political issues or anything else and just send all they have to get them back on their feet.

Apparently, its comparable to a moving cement wall, that's why so many people die from them.
Pages: 1 2 3