MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I want to know which linux I should get. I have an old compaq it's like... old so it's not the best xP

I don't play games or anything, mostly surfing the net and I want to get back into C++ programming.

So which one should I get? My friend showed me http://peppermintos.com/ but Iono if it's good or not Toungue
Looks like a stupid mint fork.

Go Debian testing for your needs.
I recommend Ubuntu. It's very popular and user-friendly. Its large community and all the tutorials available online will quickly get you started in Linux.

There are of course much better distributions, Ubuntu is not the best distribution. But it will make your life much easier, especially if you're just starting.

(2011-03-11, 05:48 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]I recommend Ubuntu. It's very popular and user-friendly. Its large community and all the tutorials available online will quickly get you started in Linux.

There are of course much better distributions, Ubuntu is not the best distribution. But it will make your life much easier, especially if you're just starting.

FYI, Ubuntu tuts work on most Debian distros (Ubuntu is a debian distro)
Yeah, if you're starting out with linux, try an ubuntu variant. How good is the computer? If it's really low end, I'd head towards LUbuntu.
Just wondering, if I downloaded something like Ubuntu it wouldn't overwrite my windows, right? I just want to plop it into VirtualBox and use it there.
Don't hijack my thread you hijacker! xD I kid I kid.

Debian looks interesting but it looks uber complex.

And LUbuntu will probably work really good on that crappy junk Toungue

But Debian will be the best for my coding and stuff right? Cuz TBH I can do all my interwebz surfing on my Mac Toungue

(2011-03-11, 07:43 PM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering, if I downloaded something like Ubuntu it wouldn't overwrite my windows, right? I just want to plop it into VirtualBox and use it there.

Of course not. Just download it and install it in Virtualbox. Absolutely no issues.
Okay Faviouz, thanks! Smile So, is Ubuntu a good one to go with?
Ubuntu for a linux beginner desktop.
Pages: 1 2 3