MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Refreshing in Real Time (Feed) (box) @ index
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't want a pluggin.

Just actual coding please.

Similar to how our "Whos Online/Complete List" refreshes automatically, I want a similar thing but for our "latest threads"

Kind of like the side box pluggin.

It has a "lattest thread" box.

How would I go about creating another box, say...on the opposite side of the index page, that refreshes automatically pulling "latest threads" from various forums without having the user to hit f5 or refresh, just have the box that pulls the latest threads and/or posts to update and refresh automatically?

Thanks.

-----------------------------------

Would it be an rss feed coding that will do the trick, but how to have the box refresh on its own, after like 1 minute?

-----------------------------------

Such as "recent posts" that updates itself in real time.
Use the meta refresh tag?

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="60;URL=index.php" />
How would I use that to refresh content inside of an html box such as the latest 5 posts every 60 seconds?

I don't want no pluggin though, just straight code.

Thanks.
Well that'd refresh the whole page, Spencer. You'd need some AJAX running in the background if you don't want the refreshing to get in the way.
Correct Pyridine, what I was looking for was a way to refresh the content inside of an html box every 60 seconds or so, pulling the 5 latest posts/topics made.

So the box refreshs, but not the whole page.

Would this be an iframe box? and use the meta refresh idea along side it?
you could do an iframe with a refresh=X attribute (of the iframe code) but it would require that you write your own code to place in the iframe that will query the latest threads.
Yes I'm going to mess around with this idea.

I'm thinking for a trial run, is to ifram a box that includes a minitature version of the "online.php" page.

So you will be able to view the online.php page in a separate box on the side of the index page, and have it refresh every 60 seconds or so.