MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Restoring an Old Database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an old 1.4.8 database that I would like to restore to a fresh installation of mybb.

I had a whole load of mods and what not installed in my old board. And unfortunately I dont have the core files anymore to just do a straight forward switch. I did try to make a new 1.4.8 installation and link it to the old database but the site was severely broken graphically due to various modifications and plugins stored within the database.

All I really want is to recover the posts, forums and users. Im guessing if I just make a new backup with only the required tables and do a restore it could work. If someone could shed some light on what tables I need or another method I would be grateful.

Thank You.

Thank you but Im aware how to restore a database. If you read my post properly you would understand that there are unnecessary tables and I want to know what the essential tables just to get posts members and the forums working.
You'll need most of the tables to have all the important data working, you may as well just import everything... I'm never really too sure why people who have a full database backup only want to import bits of it, people who do that only end up realising they missed things and end up importing the whole thing anyway...
Hey Matt. Thanks. I did import the whole thing my issues is that some of the tables obviously contained settings for various plugins. And even on the default mybb theme its severely broken in places. I have no idea what the plugins I used were to even reinstall them. I last used mybb maybe 1 and a half years ago.

Do you reckon there is a way to get rid of the plugin data? or even to restore to a default setting per say?

Thanks
Run these queries in phpMyAdmin:

DELETE FROM `mybb_settings` WHERE `isdefault` = '0';
DELETE FROM `mybb_settinggroups` WHERE `isdefault` = '0';

That'll clear out the settings from the plugins. We'll need a URL to see exactly how the theme is broken though.
Thanks Matt the query along with a revert of all the templates seems to have done the trick. I'm currently on 1.4.8. Can I do a direct update to the latest version? or would I need to go through them in order one by one?
Yes, you can go direct. Be certain you have backups to hand, then download 1.6.2, and upload the contents of the Upload folder so it overwrites your current files.
Thanks Matt. Cheers.