MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Amazing Plugin Idea - Copy Threads From Other Forums (If You Have Rights Ofcoarse)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So say you've bought right from a forum to be able to copy their posts and threads to your forum. So what this plugin would do:
-Check the forum every 12 or 24 hours for new threads/posts in the sections that you wish (you choose the section IDs you want in settings)
-Your forum system then generates/registers the users and threads and posts and creates them
-Your forum system also uses a thesaurus to reword the content, so you can make a list in the settings of words to trade with. Say you put this in your settings:
In conclusion:All in all

So if the forum you have rights to the posts to has a post saying:
"In conclusion, you should buy the black speakers."
Then your forum will say:
"All in all, you should buy the black speakers."
And vice versa:
The other forum:
All in all....
Yours...
In conclusion

Get the idea? So you can still have kind of unique content for Google.

So, I wonder which programmers on the forum can do this. I realize this is a bit complex. Please link me to your forum thread so I can buy a subscription from you and get it or whatever.

Macdonjo
(2011-03-13, 01:59 AM)macdonjo Wrote: [ -> ]So say you've bought right from a forum to be able to copy their posts and threads to your forum.

You'd need to write some sort of authentication system for the plugin for this to work. Anyone could take any posts from any forum without one.

(2011-03-13, 01:59 AM)macdonjo Wrote: [ -> ]-Your forum system then generates/registers the users and threads and posts and creates them

Where are you going to get the users email and other data? What if there are posts by a user on your forum with the same name as on the forum your getting posts from? Have you considered that they might not want their content from one board on another?

(2011-03-13, 01:59 AM)macdonjo Wrote: [ -> ]-Your forum system also uses a thesaurus to reword the content, so you can make a list in the settings of words to trade with. Say you put this in your settings:
In conclusion:All in all

So if the forum you have rights to the posts to has a post saying:
"In conclusion, you should buy the black speakers."
Then your forum will say:
"All in all, you should buy the black speakers."
And vice versa:
The other forum:
All in all....
Yours...
In conclusion

That will be hard for multi lingual boards. Online thesauruses are often have users add definitions, which might not always be correct.

It would be easier just to use the rss 2 post plugin to do this because this plugin would need alot of time to develop and maintain.

You'd need to write some sort of authentication system for the plugin for this to work. Anyone could take any posts from any forum without one.

This isn't necessary, or a requirement for the plugin, thats not what I'm saying. That's not a requirement, I'm just saying for legal problems.

Where are you going to get the users email and other data? What if there are posts by a user on your forum with the same name as on the forum your getting posts from? Have you considered that they might not want their content from one board on another?

We don't need the email. There are ways to get around that. vBulletin has this exact plugin that I'm suggesting, on private forums but its very exclusive.

That will be hard for multi lingual boards. Online thesauruses are often have users add definitions, which might not always be correct.

It would be easier just to use the rss 2 post plugin to do this because this plugin would need alot of time to develop and maintain.

Then don't user multilingual boards, easy as that.
No, the admin makes the thesaurus.
I've never herd of the rss 2 post plugin.
Just because its posted on the internet, doesn't mean you can use it. Really, its a legal minefield (Not that anyone would sue from it but if you did it from my site, i'd C&D)
So basically you're saying, let's be lazy and create a plugin that does all the posting for us.
In this case you'll get either DMCA notice to your host (if copied material is copyrighted) or you'll lose your "unique" hits.
The only thing this would be good on is a blog, and to monetize through AdSense.
(2011-03-15, 02:57 AM)Lith Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing this would be good on is a blog, and to monetize through AdSense.

Wouldn't get many hits with duplicate content.
(2011-03-15, 03:01 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-03-15, 02:57 AM)Lith Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing this would be good on is a blog, and to monetize through AdSense.

Wouldn't get many hits with duplicate content.

Well, the insurance blog I have is getting quite a bit.

This is offtopic anyways, but this would be illegal.