MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Missing features after upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I was using MyBB version 1.4.13 and recently upgraded to 1.6.2.

This is how I went about the upgrade :

1) Disable the board and all the plugins. NOTE: Disable, not uninstall.
2) Upload all the files using ftp ( apart from the inc/settings.php file )
3) Run the upgrade script
4) Enable the plugins ( after modifying the compatibility code ) for some.

I was using the subsilver theme in 1.4. Here is my issue:

After upgrading some features stopped working. For example, I could not give a reputation to a user. It showed error about length of characters. I dug into the issue and noticed that the $settings['maxreplength'] value was not set in the settings.php file. So I went to Admin CP-> Configuration -> Reputation, but it had only two options 1) Enable/Disable 2) Max. rep per page. So I compared it with a clean 1.6.2 install. The 1.6.2 install has more options on that page. On reading more about this issue, I noticed you all suggest that we do a Template->Find Updated templates to fix missing feature issues. Now, this is where I'm not sure. I'm using subsilver and when I go to Find Updated Templates. I see the following templates which are changed :

Default Templates
=============
editpost
footer
forumdisplay
header
member_profile
newthread
showthread_quickreply
usercp

subSilver
========
editpost
forumdisplay
member_profile
newthread
usercp

I've seen the diff and there aren't any changes in the above files which would BLOCK the new features from showing. Only some plugin specific changes. And afaik, none of the above mentioned pages are related to Admin CP anyway. Can anyone help me out on this? Where am I going wrong?
Which version did you choose from the upgrade script?? Are you sure you uploaded all the new files properly, particularly the ./install/ folder?? Those two reputation settings were all that was there in 1.4, the other settings were added in the upgrade, so either the upgrade wasn't fully run or some files weren't updated.
I chose 1.4.13 in the upgrade script. And I copied all files via ftp, which I verified.

Does this mean anything -> If i add that setting manually in the settings.php (i.e $settings['maxreplength'] ) I am able to give reputation fine.

Also note, the same issue arises for other new features as well. Settings aren't visible on the frontend, and hence not present in the settings.php file. If I add those settings manually, those feature begin to work fine. So I'm assuming that the files were copied onto the server ok, because the features work fine if settings are added. Only that it isn't displayed in the Admin CP. Any pointers would be of great help.

EDIT: Admin CP version check confirms that I'm running 1.6.2 ( 1602 ).

Thanks
Well, as I said, if the settings aren't there then it sounds like the file that contains the settings wasn't updated before you ran the upgrade script, so it couldn't add the new settings, as they weren't in the file. Can you also see if you have a template called postbit_rep_button in the Post Bit Templates?? You'll probably need to run the script again (choosing a different version) to make it run code again to add the settings.
Hi,

Nope. Templates->SubSilver-> Post Bit Templates doesn't have a postbit_rep_button template..
I had,

postbit_report
postbit_reputation
postbit_seperator

No such template in the default templates as well.

What do I do to fix this? Run the upgrade script again? Do I need to follow the upgrade process again? And what version do I choose? Would running the the upgrade script again cause any loss/damage to data/files?

Please help.
OK, can you go to ACP > Tools & Maintenance > File Verification > run this, does it say any files are changed??
Hi,

This is what I got:

install/images/bullet.gif Missing
install/images/content_bg.gif Missing
install/images/error_bg.gif Missing
install/images/h2-admin.gif Missing
install/images/h2-config.gif Missing
install/images/h2-createtables.gif Missing
install/images/h2-dbconfig.gif Missing
install/images/h2-finish.gif Missing
install/images/h2-license.gif Missing
install/images/h2-requirements.gif Missing
install/images/h2-tablepopulate.gif Missing
install/images/h2-theme.gif Missing
install/images/h2-welcome.gif Missing
install/images/index.html Missing
install/images/submit_bg.gif Missing
install/images/tcat_bg.gif Missing
install/images/thead_bg.gif Missing
install/index.php Missing
install/resources/adminoptions.xml Missing
install/resources/adminviews.xml Missing
install/resources/index.html Missing
install/resources/language.lang.php Missing
install/resources/mybb_theme.xml Missing
install/resources/mysql_db_inserts.php Missing
install/resources/mysql_db_tables.php Missing
install/resources/output.php Missing
install/resources/pgsql_db_tables.php Missing
install/resources/settings.xml Missing
install/resources/sqlite_db_tables.php Missing
install/resources/tasks.xml Missing
install/resources/upgrade1.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade10.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade11.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade12.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade13.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade14.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade15.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade16.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade17.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade18.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade2.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade3.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade4.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade5.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade6.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade7.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade8.php Missing
install/resources/upgrade9.php Missing
install/resources/usergroups.xml Missing
install/stylesheet.css Missing
install/upgrade.php Missing

But this is because the install folder has been renamed to install.bak

Should I rename the install folder and run the script again? Or can I just verify in the install.bak folder if these files are present? Which I think would be there.
Rename the install.bak folder to install, put a file in it called lock, and then run the file verification again. You'll need to run the upgrade script again but I just want to check what files are outdated first.
This is what I got when I renamed the install.bak/ folder to install/ and created a lock file:

MyBB has experienced an internal error and cannot continue.

Error Type:
MyBB Error (42)
Error Message:
Your board has not yet been upgraded. Please do so before attempting to browse it.

I am unable to access the admin panel then. Any ideas? The AdminCP says it's 1.6.2 when I rename it back to install.bak/
Right, well that's why the settings aren't there then, the upgrade script hasn't been run. If the upgrade script had been fully run it would have run code to stop this error happening. Basically MyBB stores the number of the last upgrade script that was run, and if that number either doesn't exist, or there's an upgrade script file with a higher number than the number that's stored, then there is a pending upgrade to run, and that's what's happened here. Download 1.6 again, upload the ./install/ folder, run the upgrade script again and choose 1.4.13. Renaming the folder isn't the best thing to do, it'll just cause confusion, just either delete it or lock it when it's not in use.