MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Chmodding.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok it sounds easy and it is, BUT, i have just brought a VPS and am still working my way around.

The chmodding doesn't work thourhg the MyBB install, it did on there shared hosting though. Is it an apache or PHP configuration i am missing? If so could someone help me out, running centOS 32 bit with webmin
If you have SSH, then you can just use the CHMOD command Smile.
Yeh but i also want to learn what is wrong for future as well.
What do you mean when you say you want to "learn what is wrong for the future"? Nothing is wrong, you just have to CHMOD the files using SSH... can't you change permissions via webmin though?
Ok basically on shared hosting alot of hosts allow php files to CHMOD other files/directorys, i can't on my VPS, is there a setting i must change?
(2011-03-16, 09:38 PM)itheme Wrote: [ -> ]Ok basically on shared hosting alot of hosts allow php files to CHMOD other files/directorys, i can't on my VPS, is there a setting i must change?

They are probably using CPanel which allows CHmodding outwith public_html
You normally do not chmod from a php script. You do some from FTP or SSH. You may also have a control panel file manager with CHMOD ability.

You may not understand fully how chmod works but it's a security feature allowing control permissions to files and directories on a system. It's considered a partial security risk allowing php scripts to chmod.