MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does Mybb Support Meta?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, I was looking through Mybb and I realized there's no place to enter keywords or anything. So I was wondering, how do search engines really tag your website without them?

I assume we're supposed to manually put them in the header. But, I think for some newbs, (including me Toungue) it'd be simpler & easier to understand if we had an option in configuration.

I may just be missing something, if so just inform me and I'll move on. And, if it currently does it can/will this be considered in 2.0?

Regards,
Kolton T.
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.c...a-tag.html

Google does not care about them anymore.
but they use description and title, so you should be adding those.
Which for all who do not know, you can do in the headerinclude template.
Ooooh.

Thanks guys! Smile
The problem with adding META keyword and Description tags to the headincludes template, is one that you don't want to be creating the exact same description and keywords on every forum page. They need to be different using some-kind of forum variables for each and every page.

Otherwise your better off without them, and I talked about this on my own forum here in more detail.
You can probably add to the showthread.php some type of conditional that sets the page title based on the thread title and the meta description based on the first post of the thread. I may work on that and add it to my site when I resolve some other issue I have been having.
Well, I would imagine that some type of core php file editing would be needed to make it work right across your whole forum. But I'm just guessing.
Well, I would imagine that some type of core php file editing would be needed to make it work right across your whole forum. But I'm just guessing. Just putting some text in your headincludes template for META keywords and description is not a good idea, your going to have that duplicated across your forum pulling the headincludes template there, same description, same keywords displayed.
use the Google SEO mod as that will add title and description for showthread, etc.

then manually add different meta content to index, portal, whos online, etc. templates
I looked at the SEO Mod for MyBB, in fact I remember now that I used it ages ago when I first tried MyBB and there was something I didn't like about it. Cannot remember what now? But I won't be using that Mod.

Also, you can't really add a different Meta description for the Portal page, not unless you manually add the headincludes template code in full to it, then edit to suit. Rather than pulling the whole headincludes forum template itself on the portal page, which would just display the forum description as a Meta description.
Pages: 1 2