MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Force Members to Vote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am looking for a plugin that would force all groups to vote in a poll before being able to access the rest of the forum. I need it for Signature of the Week contests cause if they aren't forced to, then they never vote for the signatures that people had put their time in to create. I know there is a mod for mybb that will force member to read a topic and that is very close, but idk anything about php and whether it's code could help.

THanks a lot in advanced if someone tries to put the effort in to create this.
That is a pretty lame reason to force people to vote. If they're not voting it means they don't care, and if your users don't care then why run the contest at all?
What is pretty lame is that comment. If I feel the addon would be useful, then that's my prerogative and it's not your place to criticize. If you don't like the idea then ignore the thread and keep your brilliant insights to yourself.
There's no rule against critical feedback here as far as I know. If you find the idea of reassessing your needs so offensive, that's another prerogative of yours. Wink
(2011-03-17, 02:32 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]That is a pretty lame reason to force people to vote. If they're not voting it means they don't care, and if your users don't care then why run the contest at all?

This is a completely valid point OP, and you haven't really addressed it. If your users aren't interested in voting then why force them to? You'll only annoy them, the ones that actually care will vote on their own...
Well, all I can say is that it's been pretty successful on my phpbb forum that I am planning to switch to mybb. Of course, some like it and some hate it, but the ones that do like it have reasons like it makes it easier so they don't have to look for links or announcements (yes lazy, but oh well). I get your points, but that doesn't negate the fact that, at least on my site, it has been pretty useful.
Hmm well I can see the plugin being useful, though maybe not for your reason exactly, so hopefully someone decides to make and release it ;P
Uncontrol all you ever do is give negative feedback, instead of being cocky why not offer some advice if you're as good as you think you are.

I can see this plugin being useful as well (i wouldn't use it personally). I'll explain why I wouldn't use it. The main reason is because some people are really not interested in graphics, and wouldn't know how to pick a winner like myself. I'd make it so they're maybe forced to read the topic or something, but not forced to vote.

However, there's obvious benefits. It takes seconds to vote and it makes the contest as active as it can possibly get, and those contests are fun and will keep members creating graphics thus keeping that section alive. Good luck to you Smile
(2011-03-18, 05:58 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Uncontrol all you ever do is give negative feedback, instead of being cocky why not offer some advice if you're as good as you think you are.

The issue is you think that negative feedback isn't advice. My advice is that this isn't worth doing and that it is harmful to user experience. Everyone here seems to think that they should be able to express their ideas and not receive any criticism for them. :\
(2011-03-18, 06:18 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-03-18, 05:58 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Uncontrol all you ever do is give negative feedback, instead of being cocky why not offer some advice if you're as good as you think you are.

The issue is you think that negative feedback isn't advice. My advice is that this isn't worth doing and that it is harmful to user experience. Everyone here seems to think that they should be able to express their ideas and not receive any criticism for them. :\

Not at all, if you knew me I'm all for constructive criticism, negative or not. You have a hard time projecting it in a polite manor though, maybe you find it hard to seem like a good guy. You're right, some people can't take negative feedback, doesn't mean you should act like a apricot permanently when giving some does it? Just be more polite man.
Pages: 1 2