MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The Bug Out Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have recently made this forum. I understand that it takes time to gain membership, however I already have a lot of traffic from redirecting all of my other sites to this one. In the last week I have had about 1000 visitors, yet only 4 people have signed up. If anyone has any suggestions on how to increase membership I would greatly appreciate it. Am I doing something wrong? Does everything look ok? Opinions please, honest constructive ones. Thanks
Sorry, here is the URL: http://www.thebugoutreport.com I welcome all opinions and criticism.
First you need less forums, this way the forums will look less empty, second get more content, make users join your site because it's unique, third get a new logo.
Thank you! Can you elaborate.......about the logo please?
Do you think i should just start with a general discussion forum and let it build itself?
Just get a decent logo it looks horrible, also start small on a unique niche.
It took me 4 days to hike to that spot and a lot of pain so that picture is important to me, but now that I look at it without my attachment to it, you are right, it looks horrible, everything about it. Thanks.
It's the text, it's boring... Use a different font and liven it up.
Cool man thanks. I have heard others say that you should create fake users and converse with yourself to initiate conversations and new member registration. It seems to me that it would be obvious though. Has anyone had any luck doing this. Like if I were to leave all of my forums there and just fill it up with fake threads? I have just been against doing this. Although I do have 2 fake members, I am talking about making 50 or so.
Ya but must people know that its fake when theres not to much content.....

Agreed a little to much forum for one forum... Cut it down a little. the logo needs some work. Let me know if you want me to make you one.

If you want me to make you one let me know what you will give me.
>Cool man thanks. I have heard others say that you should create fake users and converse with yourself to initiate conversations and new member registration
You can do that however it's really not worth your time. When I first started out my forums I considered this however after weighing the odds (positive effects and negative effects), their isn't much "good" coming out.

Tell your friends about your website.
The first dozen or two members should be your friends. Ask them to generate discussions, new threads/topics, etc.

P.S The issue with fake members is that
  1. Too much time wasting "talking to yourself", you can conduct other productive things such as advertising, redesigning, organizing, etc.
  2. To operate a success, active forums does not require you to create fake discussions.

(2011-03-18, 01:48 AM)shouldnteventry Wrote: [ -> ]Cool man thanks. I have heard others say that you should create fake users and converse with yourself to initiate conversations and new member registration. It seems to me that it would be obvious though. Has anyone had any luck doing this. Like if I were to leave all of my forums there and just fill it up with fake threads? I have just been against doing this. Although I do have 2 fake members, I am talking about making 50 or so.