MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: "Board" or "Forum"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Noticed that MyBB is using the "forum" term, while other platforms are using "board" term.

Board is american and forum is english / international?
Is there a difference between those two terms?
I don't think so..
They're interchangeable, it's not based on the dialect. Topic and thread are also interchangeable. Although some people will call topics and threads, boards. Which can be confusing.
Very confusing. Sad
A "forum" is an individual section imo, "forums" is the same as "board."
(2011-03-19, 02:37 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]A "forum" is an individual section imo, "forums" is the same as "board."

I use 'forum' to mean the entire site and all sections.
I don't think it matters what words you use.
Well, I'm not sure about the semantic for these words, but for me (non-native speaker of this language), board means a wood wall made to publish announces, or any other use you like.

Forum, however, has some more global connotation, according to this globalization times.
And besides, it has a latin-form, which makes it closer to my mother language.
Depending on how it's used on a sentence, you should be able to get an idea of what it means. I personally prefer to use 'Forums' as it just looks better imo.
(2011-03-19, 02:37 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]A "forum" is an individual section imo, "forums" is the same as "board."

Not an opinion, a true statement.
Actually, a forum can refer to either a single section or the whole forum, as it has it's roots in ancient Rome among other places, and means a meeting place to discuss the public opinion. So it could be the whole site or just a single forum that it refers to.
Pages: 1 2