MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Http error 400 when posting/replying to threads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys got such a random issue. Please note that this does not happen for one of my friends which uses the forum

Detailed description of your problem, including steps to reproduce if necessary
When posting a new thread the page appears to load for about 2 minutes and then shows an HTTP 400 error (invalid request)
While the page is loading I can open up a new tab and browse the forums okay, I can even go to where I am posting my new thread and see it there however when I click on it to open I get the same problem, trys to load for a while, then 400 error. However! If i click stop in the first tab then click on the thread in the second tab it loads fine.
I have tried disabling all plugins to same effect. Have cleared cache etc. Browser is firefox, not tried yet in IE

URL to your forum/URL to specific problematic page
http://www.ByteForums.com

New installation or upgrade (from which version of MyBB)?
Upgrade, currently on latest 1.6.2, The forums started off in December 2007 so maybe 1.2 was the original version?

Test user account (if a posting/UserCP issue)
Feel free to sign up, although I know that at least the other admin does not have this problem

Screenshot or error text, verbatim
Error Text:
HTTP 400: Bad Request
The request is badly formed

Has anyone seen this before? Error first occurred on 1.6.1 so upgraded to 1.6.2 but no change
Isn't that theme one of the Afresh/Apart series that Justin made? Where's his copyright notice?

Other than that, contact your host.
(2011-03-19, 08:21 PM)Shukaku Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't that theme one of the Afresh/Apart series that Justin made? Where's his copyright notice?

Other than that, contact your host.

Don't know, one of the moderators sorts out the templates. If it is I will get a link put on.

Host said contact mybb

Have you modified any files?? Installed any plugins?? Unless you've done something to edit how a request is sent or something, there's nothing we can do to fix this, it's not an error with the MyBB software itself. Look in your server error logs to see if it says what's actually causing it.
(2011-03-19, 09:26 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Have you modified any files?? Installed any plugins?? Unless you've done something to edit how a request is sent or something, there's nothing we can do to fix this, it's not an error with the MyBB software itself. Look in your server error logs to see if it says what's actually causing it.

Thanks matt, I have just done a file verification in adminCP and the only 2 things missing are

inc/plugins/akismet.php
inc/plugins/hello.php

would this be causing issues?
I wouldn't think they should. I will check error logs and get back. My friend has just said he is noticing similar behaviour now
They're just the default plugins, they won't have anything to do with it... I mean I'm no expert on how HTTP requests work and what specifically triggers a 400 error, but Wikipedia's description of a 400 is 'the request cannot be fulfilled due to bad syntax', i.e. something wrong with the page headers or something, but the page headers are sent in exactly the same way for every page, so the error would always either be there or never be there, not just on specific pages. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem would go if you were to change hosts.
It's a bit bizare. It's not happening at the moment for me so maybe temporary issues. Been with this host since 2008/9 with no problems before so reluctant to move. Had 2 hosts before this one which were both awful.

I am going to look into this a bit more if it happens again. The error logs are pretty bare in cPanel, all they say is that a 400 error ocurred but dosn't say why or if it was server side or client side headers which were bad. An error in the 4XX range usually means the client made a mistake (thus the 404 being, "the client made the mistake by asking for something that isn't there") So I would assume the 400 was that my browser was sending something funny however tried it in other browser with same issue and my friend getting it too? strange as..

Hopefully next time I will get more luck in the error logs

Cheers for all your help Matt Smile
What browser are you using?? I just had a thought that it might be a browser extension or something that's getting in the way of the request, but then again it's unlikely that you and your friend would both be affected in the same way, assuming you even use the same browser and have the same extension installed. Also have you enabled GZip compression in the Server and Optimization settings?? Again it would be very weird for that to only be having an effect on this specific page... also what plugins do you have??
My normal browser is Firefox 4 beta, although when the error first ocurred i was on the latest stable version 3.something.

My friend also uses firefox although we both tried in a few versions of IE and getting the same 400 error

Have no extensions installed in firefox 4.

Plugins:
Automatic Signature Removal (0.1) by goughy000 (me)
TLA Plugin (0.1) by goughy000 (me)
Fassim Anti Spam (1.2) by Fassim.com
News Bar (1.0) by Phenomenon

I tried deactivating them all before opening this thread with no change

GZip is activated at level 7 of 9
Also, quick reply worked fine throughout
Can you disable GZip for a bit and see if it still happens??
Pages: 1 2