MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Wordpress or portal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I currently am using wordpress for news and mybb for forums, but the forum theme is a lot different from wordpress and I am not good at themes, so I was thinking of just usings the Mybb portal for news like most gaming forums use in vbulletin.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Only, thing I have against the portal is that it does look a little bland.

Also, making pages on wordpress is easy with the built in editor, does Mybb have something similar for pages?

Thanks

My site
(2011-03-21, 02:58 AM)gamer413 Wrote: [ -> ]...Only, thing I have against the portal is that it does look a little bland.
Yes, the default portal is way "too boxy" & straight out of the year 2002.

...but the forum theme is a lot different from wordpress

If you have time and like a challenge:
1) Go to your MyBB forum in any browser
2) Save page as html
3) Find a tutorial like this...
http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/cr...l-template
...and create a Wordpress theme from your MyBB theme.* Toungue

*Individual results may vary, your CSS file is found both through the ACP, and in the /cache/themes directory.

Well another reason I want it as well is because people need to login to wordpress and mybb, and if they want to comment the articles are separate from each other. I may just end up getting VBulletin publishing suite or test out some Portal plugins and see how it looks.

I just want my portal page to look similar to something like this or this
(2011-03-21, 03:31 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-03-21, 02:58 AM)gamer413 Wrote: [ -> ]...Only, thing I have against the portal is that it does look a little bland.
Yes, the default portal is way "too boxy" & straight out of the year 2002.

...but the forum theme is a lot different from wordpress

If you have time and like a challenge:
1) Go to your MyBB forum in any browser
2) Save page as html
3) Find a tutorial like this...
http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/cr...l-template
...and create a Wordpress theme from your MyBB theme.* Toungue

*Individual results may vary, your CSS file is found both through the ACP, and in the /cache/themes directory.

thank you for sharing the tutorial
(2011-03-21, 05:38 AM)morean51 Wrote: [ -> ]thank you for sharing the tutorial

Smile

(2011-03-21, 04:30 AM)gamer413 Wrote: [ -> ]...I just want my portal page to look similar to something like this or this

Easy As 1-2-3:
1) Choose or create your great, modern template.
2) Add the CSS to your MyBB global CSS (rename any areas with naming conflicts, or simply add a prefix to all the new sections)
3a) Replace your default portal template w/ the html for your great, modern template.
3b) Decide if you want the standard {$headerinclude} in your new portal + Remember to update all the sections you renamed in the CSS. Toungue
3c) Add these type of template variables (ie. {$welcome}
{$pms}
{$search}
{$stats}
{$whosonline}
{$latestthreads}) anywhere you want them to be.
  • Now you have a custom portal you can be proud of.*
*This does take some time-however-at the end of the day, it really is pretty easy.

Dear Seeker, stop being so awesome please Toungue

I found that very useful aswell, thanks for the link.