MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestion for mod site regarding to approvals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

This is absolutely not a topic to criticize the MyBB dev and mod team. I'm convinced that they are doing the best they can to do their job. But I have a suggestion for the mod site regarding to the approval of plugins.

A plugin or theme needs to be validated now and also every time a plugin or theme updates. This can take up to 24 hours or longer which can be a bit frustrating for the author. I understand why they need to do this for submissions from new users but authors who already made valuable submissions to the mod site also have to go through that process. Maybe it's a good idea to give trusted authors who've already made valuable submissions to the mod site an extra permission to submit and update without going through the validation every time. A bit like the "Verified author" status on the Google Chrome extension site. There only authors who've paid a small contribution are allowed to publish their plugins on the extension site. I'm not saying that MyBB plugin developers should pay to make a submission but if he already made several submissions without violating any rules he can be trusted imho. You could also implement a report button if a user doubts the plugin should be allowed, he can report that and then a mod can yet take the mod offline.

I think it's a win-win situation. The trusted authors' plugins/themes are activated on the fly, it really makes the life of the mods a bit easier and users can get plugins faster.
Yes! I'm right behind you for this idea. There's been talk of a mods DB overhaul for a while now and I've always hoped for an update to the way submissions are validated. Your idea seems like the best way to do things for sure.
The mods site is already being updated.
I think it is, aside from the fact the mod site doesn't allow non-free plugins, also one of the main reason why so many plugin developers have their own website where they publish their plugins and themes. I personally don't like to bother the mods every time my plugins awaits validation for longer than 24 hours (as the mod site says) and I believe they don't like to be bothered too.

I think auto-validation, for everyone or just trusted users, in combination with a clear list of rules and a report button, will help both the authors and the mods and eventually the MyBB community.