MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Alternative jquery frontend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2 days ago, I was started rewrite mybb scripts from prototype to jquery.
At this time I was rewrite about 30%.

Converted:
general.js (without spiner, I think need a jquery plugin for this)
captcha.js
inline_moderation.js
popup_menu.js

About 70-90%
post.js
inline_edit.js
rating.js

But I was some problems.
1. With popup_menu.js (attached)
i rewrite this, but click doing browser freeze.

2.I do not have defined objectives
First I want do it liked original code, and compatibile with original style, but there is too hard to do. Propably there will require a template changes. Maybe I should use a jquery plugin to replacement this file.

3.I don't know prototype well.
I don't know how well i convert Class.create() and some other construction.

4. Wanted Testers
You can see work progress on http://jq.hajlo.com
At the moment code is really unorganised.

Would anyone like to help develop it?
Anyone have ideas?

It's great to see somebody have a crack at this! It's rumoured that jQuery will be the default library in 2.0, but it's nice to see it headed to 1.6 too.

I'd love to help, but I'm a JS newbie in all honest.
Don't get me wrong, I also believe jQuery is superior to Prototype but why would you completely rewrite all JS files of MyBB. You lose the option to upgrade MyBB. The MyBB javascript works so why break it? What's the reason you want to do this?
I don't like mixing library. It causes additional problems, and slowing page loading.
I know about Jquery.noConflict(), but there isn't the same.

"You lose the option to upgrade MyBB."
I don't think
(2011-03-21, 08:21 PM)taxido Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like mixing library. It causes additional problems, and slowing page loading.
I know about Jquery.noConflict(), but there isn't the same.

Why don't just use Prototype then? I don't know if you have the intention to release plugin to the public that force them to use jQuery or that you are just doing it for your own. But if everyone starts using their favorite js library, template system, etc ... other than the build in libraries, it would be total anarchy. Prototype is already delivered with MyBB and it works well. I haven't found anything I couldn't do with Prototype. Okay, sometimes it's a bit more complex than jQuery but it's doable.

Again, I also think jQuery is better but the MyBB devs decided to use Prototype so we just have to make do with the means available to us.