MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Payed Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would like to register my disatisfaction with MyBB, I switched to this system because it was free and open source.

Today I tried searching for some new plugins and every one of them I had to access another forum which required payed subscriptions to be able to download.

I think this kind of attitude of the community is going to culminate with the downfall of this system.

I am already searching for a new forum to use.
There are plenty of free alternatives to the paid versions. Just because something is free and open source does not mean plugin authors aren't allowed to make money from plugins.

MyBB has always had paid plugins, it's like $5-$10 for a year subscription at MyBB Central and that small amount gives you access to a lot of plugins: it's hardly anything when you think about the fact that MyBB has been developed by volunteers who have not been paid one cent for the past 7 or so years.

MyBB Central for example, donates a lot of it's subscription money to MyBB.com to pay for hosting.

But, your choice to leave, bye. Smile
There is a lot of discussions for this already, One example: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=329
This has absolutely nothing to do with MyBB.

It is free, and it is Open Source.

How can it be free & open source if MyBB limits users from charging for their development?

Would you like to go to work & not be paid for what you do?

All Forum Softwares has "Free" and "Paid Services.

There are plenty of "Free" plugins for you to use. They're not ALL paid.

Check the Mod Section for example:
http://mods.mybb.com/mods

And if MyBB did limit it so people couldn't charge for their development work, how would you be so sure that the Developers won't just take down all their work & stop development entirely? They can easily move on to doing this for another Site/Forum software.

Fact is, not everything comes free.

You get the base software free.
You have to pay for:
- Proper Host
- Better than "Free" Plugins/Features
- Unique/Exclusive Features

A true Administrator wouldn't expect all this free.

Only kids playing around do.
I'll put it this way, if I wanted to pay I would just use vbulletin (like windows).

But I don't want to pay for this, so i'll use mybb (like linux).

I think that when we (site admins) choose a free open source platform, we expect the community involved to do stuff for free because they enjoy doing it.

If you want to charge for your development go do it on some originally payed platform.
Then use Vbulletion. MyBB is under the LGPL, meaning that anyone can charge whatever they for adjustments to MyBB. If you have an issue, i suggest your either fork MyBB, or you get used to it. PHPBB is also a great FOSS software.
(2011-03-23, 07:09 PM)Hermiod Wrote: [ -> ]I'll put it this way, if I wanted to pay I would just use vbulletin (like windows).

But I don't want to pay for this, so i'll use mybb (like linux).

I think that when we (site admins) choose a free open source platform, we expect the community involved to do stuff for free because they enjoy doing it.

If you want to charge for your development go do it on some originally payed platform.

Your 5$ encourage us to serve more for MyBB.
vBulletin is built on open source PHP and MySQL, so i guess it should be free too....

Learn to write your own plugins for MyBB, then they will be free.
Considering the amount of forums available, doing another fork just sounds silly.

(2011-03-23, 08:07 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]vBulletin is built on open source PHP and MySQL, so i guess it should be free too....

Learn to write your own plugins for MyBB, then they will be free.

Open-source and free are different paradigms.

There is software for windows that is free, but not open source.
Most software for linux is free and open source.
But there is software for linux and windows that is not free, but is open source.

I would get involved in developing mods for this system, but I am already involved in another community developing mods and fixing bugs for free, because I like to do it.
None of that really matters. MyBB has decided to release under LGPL and I think that the community overall is supportive of that.

The only people that tend to complain about it are either too cheap to spend the $5-10 (for a year sometimes for life), too lazy to make the mods they need themselves, or think their own time is worth more than the effort of others that want to be compensated for the time to make mods.

I am surprised this thread has lasted so long though
Pages: 1 2