MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Facebook dropping REST API
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For those of us that develop around the Facebook API, they started deprecating the old REST API and several items have become totally obsolete back in Jan, 2011.

I am trying to update MyBBPublisher and finding that some new stuff i want to do are no longer available.

Time to move to the oAuth 2.0 PHP SDK now.
Have they improved any on letting people get data out of Facebook, or is it still just 'one-way'?
(ie. you can update your status, post to wall, but not really get much data 'out')
^^^
Is the above still basically true?
Thanks, for the update.
you can get data out easily, its the authentication part that is a PITA, at least for remote/offline permanent access permission that I need for MyBB Publisher
OK thanks pavemen,
I haven't tried to use oAuth yet, doesn't look very intuitive at the start.
Maybe it's not "that hard", but the sample code usually does look like a PITA.
its not that bad to use the graph API, but the way Facebook returns authentication code used to generate an access token it lame. All other data comes back as aJSON encoded Facebook URL, but the code comes back to a page on your own website with the code appended to the URI.

Since MyBB code should not allow direct access, its not anything I can really automate within the plugin file.