MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New here, with a couple of questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I'm looking to start a new forum. Basically, it won't have to be too complex. In fact, I'm trying to be pretty minimalist here.

So basically, here's what I want.
1. VERY easy registration. My main site is not going to be the smf forum. The subdomain or the subfolder will contain the forum so it'll look like mysite.com/forums or forums.mysite.com

When the user clicks register on my main site, it will show an unintrusive login popup. It would require only username, password, email, captcha. That's it. From there, the users can go into deeper details with their profiles at a later time if they want, but it's not necessary. After the 10sec sign-in, the user is free to do whatever.

If you don't what I mean, check out reddit.com's registration. It's so easy and really does take like 10seconds.
2. Facebook integration. People can sign up via facebook, or comment via facebook.

3. I want to insert an image or ad immediately after the last relevant content on every page. Like my image/ad would be right after the quick reply.

4. The most important thing, however, is I want a gallery-style subforum. Let me explain. The forums.mysite.com will look like any forum. But when you click in a subforum like General Discussion, it'll show the thread titles like this: http://i.imgur.com/lreTw.png
It's important to note that the thread titles will not be yellow nor images. That many images would be too expensive... Instead, all the thread titles would simply be text. It's tricky know, but I really want this, if possible. Basically, the code would have to figure out font-size and when to go to the next line, to keep the text inside the box. For example, if a user submits a thread entitled, "I like Halo 3" on General Discussions, the title would appear in a box that reads "I like Halo 3", simple as that. It'd probably be in Arial, size 18 font. Like:
_________
l l
l I like l
l Halo 3 l
----------

But if the user submits a threads entitled "The war in Afghanistan was a complete and utter mess", the code would have to adjust to fit inside the box. So basically the code, would have to somehow figure out the size of sentences and words to make it fit in a box. It'd probably look something like this:
l and mutter mess l
-------------------

It sounds pretty complicated, right? The other, better, option would be when a person wants to create a title, the person would be given something like an online text pad, so the server wouldn't need to figure out anything.

Again, I do not want the title squares to be images as I can imagine the hosting cost being insane.

How hard would it be to do that? It really is important for me for various reasons, and I know how stupid, unintuitive it may be, but I really do want that.

So a summary on #4. the forums.mysite.com looks like any other forum. It's only the subforum that looks different. It'll be in a gallery format. When the person enters the topics, it'll look like a regular forum's topic section. To be specific, I'd want it to look like IGN's comment section in the forum. Like: http://boards.ign.com/xbox_360_lobby/b82...3006/p1/?8

It just has a very nice clean look to it.
----
Anyways that's it.

Also, I'd really love an estimate on how long I should expect to work on my forum. And how much coding I should do, if I expect to integrate 1 thru 3. I know #4 is pretty complex so I'm hoping somebody's up for the challenge. I suppose I can pay for it, but I'm not rich by any means.

My site is not a CMS, btw. Not sure if that matters, but yeah.

All replies are greatly appreciated, thanks!
1. This is possible with just a couple template edits.
2. There is a plugin for this.
3. Possible with a plugin.
4. Possible with XThreads (Plugin) but will require you to be quite comfortable with HTML and CSS and possibly PHP.
1. I just read my #1 again and I realized I wrote smfforum hah. It was a cross post. Not gonna edit my blooper. Nice!

2. Nice!

3. Can you be more specific?

4. Whoa, are you serious? I am really comfortable with html and css, and I'm an intermediate at best with php and mysql. The guy at smf said I should probably dish out $50 to commission a guy to do it. Since I'm comfortable with html, css, likely can handle php, I can just do it myself right? I'm really not all too convinced I can do it. It would seem like there'd be some semi-complex logic behind it. Care to explain how you'd do it?
3. http://forums.mybb-plugins.com/Thread-My...ents-1-9-2
4. http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=288 - I have not used this plugin before but I can tell you it is absolutely possible with it and that it'll be a hell of a lot easier than coding something specific.
Hmm, the author wrote "Warning: I'm not going to bother with "beta" labels and so on. I've done some testing on this myself, but it's by no means extensive. Use this at your own risk."

I don't want my site to just crash. Not sure if I can trust it :/

Also, how much would it cost if I were to pay someone to set it up?

EDIT: Also with xthread how is it possible? Does it give the user a text editor or does the system reconfigure the words to make it fit inside the box?
Many sites use it and I haven't heard of any stability issues, so I'd trust it. The guy who made it also used to be on the MyBB dev team.

I honestly dunno how much it'd cost.

Like I said, I haven't used this plugin before so I don't know exactly how it functions.
(2011-03-28, 03:19 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]Many sites use it and I haven't heard of any stability issues, so I'd trust it. The guy who made it also used to be on the MyBB dev team.

I honestly dunno how much it'd cost.

Like I said, I haven't used this plugin before so I don't know exactly how it functions.

Hmm alright. One other question since you seem like a smart fellow. Which approach do you think is best in terms of scalability, stability, other-ities? Having the system automatically create the words within the div, or giving the user a textpad? Or should I give the user something like http://ragecomic.appspot.com/, in which the user could self construct his own title? If I use this approach, I can see my hosting and bandwidth being pretty high, but at least then I think I'll get consistent results.
I'd give the user a text box and define a hard limit where it cuts off and puts a dash at cutoff point.
It seems like I would need to know some sort of client-side coding, because php is just server-side and would have no way of knowing much the person typed, to give a good font-size. Like my example before, the "I like Halo 3" should have a bigger font size than "The war in Afghanistan was a complete and utter mess".

Also, what are some kickass plugins I should definitely get?
Uh, that is possible in PHP otherwise you would be able remove the text limit on the quick reply with Firebug and make a huge page stretch.

And I would suggest GoogleSEO and Template Conditionals.
Pages: 1 2