MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Enhance/improve the Search function
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I was wondering, is it possible at all to improve on the "Search" function? For example, I would like to be able to use operators like ".n" (near) to do a search like
[term1] .n [term2]

which would return all the posts where the two terms are "near".
Also, it would be useful to be able to use wild cards (or regular expressions for beginners) to include possible variations of a single word.

I am sure you can think of other stuff too.

Is there anything like that around? I suspect no, as I have done a Search within the forum but found nothing really relevant.

Thanks
Assuming that there is no real answer to my question, can someone direct me to the page where it explains which boolean operators I may use?
I have been playing about with them, but I am not quite clear what I am seeing.

Besides, I noticed that as long as I look for a word like "thing" and it exists in the forum I find also "things", "thingy", "thingumajig", etc (you get my drift), BUT if I look for "Thin" and there is no such word on the database, I wont find "thing" and its derivatives. This is actually quite annoying if your language is at all inflected.