MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB was unable to send the email using the PHP mail() function
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,

I was trying to send out a Mass Email to all members of my board the other day, the email successfully reached 100% sending but a few hours later no one had received the email - I checked the 'System Mail Log' within the admin control panel and next to each email there was a error message which read:

"MyBB was unable to send the email using the PHP mail() function."

I registered a test account on the board to test if registration mail was being sent fine, and it was; I received the registration mail fine and every other email from the board seems to send fine apart from the mass email feature. I tried using the SMTP settings but then I received a error 110: Connection timed out on every email that was sent - I think this has something to do with GoDaddy because the smtp server, username and password were fine, I also tried using different ports.

Is there a solution to why only the mass mail is not being sent under the PHP mail function?

Board URL: http://www.lovingtech.net/
Version: 1.6.2

Any help is appreciated,
Danny.
GoDaddy is a hosting disaster, go to some other host.
(2011-03-28, 09:24 PM)Shukaku Wrote: [ -> ]GoDaddy is a hosting disaster, go to some other host.

I agree but I don't pay the hosting bill, and he's just renewed it for another year.

It doesn't solve why all emails are sent apart from the mass mail though.
Are any other mails not going through? For example user to user emails or send thread emails?

Are you using any plugins that might be interfering with mass mail?

The mass mail uses the same function to sent the mails that the register and other parts of the forum uses.

Lastly, use the File Verification under Admincp >> Tools & Maintenace to make sure that files are all ok.

Godaddy have been very finicky with mails from php
I've just checked user to user emails and send thread emails, both of them are working fine and I received the emails.

I've looked through the plugins list and none of them should be interfering with the mass email function.

I've tried using the File Verification tool but it does not post any results, it's just blank. It may have something to do with the broken admin panel though because some titles are missing on it along with other things. I've tried reuploading the admin files and there was still no luck in fixing this - It's the same in IE & FireFox.
If all the other mails across the board are working fine, there's no reason for the mass mail to not work since they use the same function to send out the mail. Just to make sure that this is not the cause, we should fix your admincp first. You mentioned you already uploaded the admin files, also try re-uploading the language files in inc/languages/<language>/admin
Also, have you changed the admin directory name? If you have make sure you're uploading the files to the changed directory and not the default admin one.
It seems reuploading the admin language files didn't make a difference Sad I was also uploading the files to the right directory.

After a quick look through the admin panel, it seems that it's only the tools & maintenance page where some titles are missing. I've got some screenshots of the missing titles:

[attachment=22113]

[attachment=22116]

[attachment=22115]
Can you PM me ftp and admincp details??
(2011-03-29, 10:32 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Can you PM me ftp and admincp details??

Sure, I'll send them over now.
I just created a testuser with my email, created a mass mail with just one user, the testuser and I received the mass mail.

So the mass mail is working. What I think is happening here is that godaddy is cutting you off when you send a certain number of mails in a specified time.

What do you set as the per page value when you create a mass mail? Try setting it lower than the default of 50. You could also space out the mass mail task, right now the mass mail task runs every 15 minutes. You could contact godaddy to ask them how many emails they allow per hour and adjust these 2 values to be in compliance with them and not get cut off.

As for your admincp messing up, the files are ok, it seems a plugin you have is interfering.
Pages: 1 2