MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: copy my phpbb forum to mybb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i recently discovered mybb and the fact that its better than phpbb.
My site stats-
Total posts 14141 :: Total topics 3546 :: Total members 19725

i want to test out mybb keeping my current phpbb forum up.
So i want to copy all users, posts, forums. Everything (just to test if everything is ok)
once i feel that everything is ok, i will set the mybb installation as default forum. Please help me!
I have also read about mybb merge but i fear that it will meddle with my current phpbb website

my forum- http://nokialogy.com
You can merge and test MyBB without touching your original phpbb forum.

Just copy the phpbb database to a new temporary database and work on that for merging in to MyBB. Also make a backup of your files just in case.

If you have access to phpmyadmin, it is very easy to make a copy of your database in to another database.
See the merge section here on mybb.
(2011-03-29, 07:15 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]You can merge and test MyBB without touching your original phpbb forum.

Just copy the phpbb database to a new temporary database and work on that for merging in to MyBB. Also make a backup of your files just in case.

If you have access to phpmyadmin, it is very easy to make a copy of your database in to another database.

ok. I will try this. But will the attatchments in the posts work?

Thanks for the fast reply
(2011-03-29, 07:25 AM)t_virus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-03-29, 07:15 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]You can merge and test MyBB without touching your original phpbb forum.

ok. I will try this. But will the attatchments in the posts work?

Thanks for the fast reply

I am not aware of any issues currently with the merge system having problems with attachments but if you run in to problems you can ask for support in the merge section and you will definitely be helped out there.

To test if the attachments get imported properly I'd suggest mirroring the site files + attachments same way you did the database so that you can try the merging on the copied files and leave the originals as they are.

can you please tell how to copy?
I used 'copy database to' option in 'operations' but it didn't work.
Does your host impose any limits on how many databases you can have?
no. The new database was created with the name i entered but nothing there in it.
Size was 0mb of new database

maybe i am doing a mistake. Please can you write a tutorial (that does not involve downloading the sql file as my database is quite big)
When you copy the database make sure you select the following options:

Structure and data
CREATE DATABASE before copying
Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
well the older one i tried is now done.
Maybe it took longer for data to be copied
thanx for your help anyway.
Pages: 1 2