MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Language error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I did what you suggested and it worked... thanks
(2011-03-29, 11:49 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I say its the reason I think it is is because those characters only appear in places where the string has been truncated and ... added to the end. If you actually follow the link and look at the entire thread's title it shows fine. I also didn't see any of those characters anywhere else on the board unless I missed it. If it was a problem with encoding then those characters would always not show up right which is not the case here.

What version of MyBB 1.4 did you upgrade from?
I found that when i move my bb from host to local computer it doesn't has error. How can i do in this case?thank you.
(2011-03-30, 02:36 PM)magicstone1412 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-03-29, 11:49 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I say its the reason I think it is is because those characters only appear in places where the string has been truncated and ... added to the end. If you actually follow the link and look at the entire thread's title it shows fine. I also didn't see any of those characters anywhere else on the board unless I missed it. If it was a problem with encoding then those characters would always not show up right which is not the case here.

What version of MyBB 1.4 did you upgrade from?
I found that when i move my bb from host to local computer it doesn't has error. How can i do in this case?thank you.

On your localhost do you have mbstring? You probably do which is why you don't have this problem there. Check if you do on the phpinfo page I described earlier.
Quote:On your localhost do you have mbstring? You probably do which is why you don't have this problem there. Check if you do on the phpinfo page I described earlier.
I checked my local host and i can see mbstring but on web host it doesn't have mbstring
[Image: mbstring.jpg]

How can I do G33K? Thank you for your support.

I still wonder why mybb 1.4 work well before but now 1.6 doesn't work?

It was probably a coincidence that you upgraded and your host dropped mbstring support at the same time as there are no differences in the my_substr function between 1.4.14 and 1.6 that would cause it stop working.

Unless you manage this server yourself or are allowed to load modules in php.ini you will have to get your host to load the mbstring module in php. Explain to them that you need it since you're using non-english characters and they don't show up properly otherwise.

Here it is on php site for reference: http://php.net/manual/en/book.mbstring.php
(2011-03-31, 05:42 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]It was probably a coincidence that you upgraded and your host dropped mbstring support at the same time as there are no differences in the my_substr function between 1.4.14 and 1.6 that would cause it stop working.
Unless you manage this server yourself or are allowed to load modules in php.ini you will have to get your host to load the mbstring module in php. Explain to them that you need it since you're using non-english characters and they don't show up properly otherwise.
Here it is on php site for reference: http://php.net/manual/en/book.mbstring.php
Again, thank you G33K. But if the reason because of mbstring, can you explain why my homepage has no problem? In this case I use Joomla for my homepage. Pls visit http://revitviet.vn . Thank you
Lets see if I can try to explain this more clearly.

mbstring is only used when you are manipulating strings. An example of when mybb uses mbstring is to shorten a thread title and add ... to the end of it. (looooooong thread becomes looooo...).

mbstring is only helpful when you're dealing with non-english characters (or other characters that use more than a single byte), for regular characters there is no difference between having mbstring and not having mbstring.

The reason you're not seeing this happening anywhere else on your site is because the strings there are not being edited in any way, same reason you have the weird characters showing on the shortened titles but the actual titles in the thread are fine. If joomla had to truncate a string with non-english characters it would do the same.

You must have noticed that these weird characters are only coming up where they have been truncated/shortened or edited in some other way, you don't see them in regular text

I suggest you read up on what mbstring is and how it works and why your site is being affected without it.
(2011-03-31, 08:10 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Lets see if I can try to explain this more clearly.

mbstring is only used when you are manipulating strings. An example of when mybb uses mbstring is to shorten a thread title and add ... to the end of it. (looooooong thread becomes looooo...).

mbstring is only helpful when you're dealing with non-english characters (or other characters that use more than a single byte), for regular characters there is no difference between having mbstring and not having mbstring.

The reason you're not seeing this happening anywhere else on your site is because the strings there are not being edited in any way, same reason you have the weird characters showing on the shortened titles but the actual titles in the thread are fine. If joomla had to truncate a string with non-english characters it would do the same.

You must have noticed that these weird characters are only coming up where they have been truncated/shortened or edited in some other way, you don't see them in regular text

I suggest you read up on what mbstring is and how it works and why your site is being affected without it.

Thank you for your explanation. I contacted with host supplier and they enabled mbstring. Now my site works well. Thank you GK33. You are a wonderful man Big Grin
Pages: 1 2