MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Asking a "Security/Verification Question"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I run a private board for members of my company, as such it requires me, as admin, to activate a new user before he/she can view the forums.

I am going away for about 10 days and will not be able to get internet access. (Deepest darkest Africa)

Is there any way to ask a security question while a user is registering. One that only a person from my company would know. If they answer it correctly it will allow them to continue registering.

That way I could switch the board from "Admin Activation" to "email activation" mode.

I was thinking along the lines of replacing the verification picture/code but I don't know enough about PHP to do it without making a c@&k-up.
Well if you need a quick and none modification way, you can use the Referrer field in the registration process.

Make a user, and let you colleages know his username and then use it as a referrer. Smile

see ya
Its an idea, but I cannot talk to or contact all the people that will be registering.
Quote:Is there any way to ask a security question while a user is registering. One that only a person from my company would know. If they answer it correctly it will allow them to continue registering.

but you have said this ? how would they know that security question.

The referrer can act as a security question in this case.

So what you are saying is that the answer to my security question must be a user name that I register, and that by using the referal system, a user cannot register unless he types in that particular user name.

I have had the referal system on and if it is left blank a user can still register.
Alright I see, you want to enable email activation later on.

ok, we will do some modification.

Open

./member.php

find

$_COOKIE['mybb']['referrer'] = $referrername;
	}

below add

if($mybb->input['seccheck'] != "test")
		{
		$errors[] = "You haven't guessed it right";
		} 

change test to the security keyword you want.

now in Admin CP > Templates > Modify / Delete > Expand > Member templates > member_register

Find
$requiredfields 

below add

<fieldset>
<span class="smalltext">Security Check</span>
<input type="text" name="seccheck" size="20" maxlength="50" value="$seccheck" />
</fieldset>

regards
Excellent!

Thanks very much, I'll give it a try.

I have to say you guys are on the ball when it come to support. I wish some of the BIG "IT" companies would take a page out of your book. Thanks again.