MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: It just won't
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It just won't install and I am growing weary. I have tried over and over again, deleted the db and started over.... I've don't everything but wash it under cold water with soap!

While I have managed to make it to "Administrator User" step ONCE (before it failed in the finish step), most of the attempts failed in the "Table Creation" step with a message that looks similar to:

Quote:MyBB SQL Error
MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.

SQL Error:
2006 - MySQL server has gone away
Query:
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS mybb_threadsubscriptions
Please contact the MyBB Group for support.

If I seem frustrated it is only because this is about the fifth or sixth forum I have tried to install at http://te.net84.net and nothing seems to work! And, NO, this is not my first CMS nor my first forum. It's just the first one to simply refuse to install, regardless of the script. In my experience a forum is a bigger pain to install (and maintain) than a blog or site. But I have gotten them installed and usable (though they are rarely easily customizable in my experience).
UndecidedAngry
Have you CHMOD'ed all the files it tells you to?
You need to contact to your host. Its not related to MyBB because your SQL database is not connected to your host.
(2011-03-30, 04:06 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Have you CHMOD'ed all the files it tells you to?

Absolutely. And the install script has confirmed that they are indeed "CHMOD'ed" correctly.

Quote:Posted by Yaldaram - Today 04:09 PM
You need to contact to your host. Its not related to MyBB because your SQL database is not connected to your host.

Maybe. But this would be the first time this has happened on this host. I only have 10 other sites there, all of which run a CMS of some kind and use a database. Unless this is just one of those "freak of nature" (or is that "freak of cyber"?) things, I am inclined to suspect that it is something else.

Coincidentally, my host offers mybb on fantastico. It is just not available at the present time. But I would think if they offer it that it would run by manual install... ?
I have managed to push it to the last step (by brute force of backing up and running at each step multiple times until it goes through). This is the error that I get here:
Quote:Importing user groups...

MyBB SQL Error
MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.

SQL Error:
1062 - Duplicate entry '1' for key 1
Query:
INSERT INTO mybb_usergroups (gid,type,title,description,namestyle,usertitle,stars,starimage,image,disporder,isbannedgroup,canview,canviewthreads,canviewprofiles,candlattachments,canpostthreads,canpostreplys,canpostattachments,canratethreads,caneditposts,candeleteposts,candeletethreads,caneditattachments,canpostpolls,canvotepolls,canundovotes,canusepms,cansendpms,cantrackpms,candenypmreceipts,pmquota,maxpmrecipients,cansendemail,maxemails,canviewmemberlist,canviewcalendar,canaddevents,canbypasseventmod,canmoderateevents,canviewonline,canviewwolinvis,canviewonlineips,cancp,issupermod,cansearch,canusercp,canuploadavatars,canratemembers,canchangename,showforumteam,usereputationsystem,cangivereputations,reputationpower,maxreputationsday,candisplaygroup,attachquota,cancustomtitle,canwarnusers,canreceivewarnings,canmodcp,maxwarningsday) VALUES ('1','1','Guests','The default group that all visitors are assigned to unless they\'re logged in.','{username}','Unregistered','0','','','0','0','1','1','1','0','0','0','0','0','1','1','1','1','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','5','0','5','1','1','0','0','0','1','0','0','0','0','1','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','1','0','0','0','0','0','0')
Being this close to completion and at an impasse is distressing. I have even tried to edit the db through phpMyAdmin to no avail.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, nor am I the dullest. But it shouldn't be this hard to install a script.
It shouldn't be this difficult, no, but you are definitely in the minority on this so I wouldn't be so quick to chastise MyBB for being a bad script.
If you're getting these errors on installation it's not an issue we can fix. The first issue is due to losing connection to the MySQL server, nothing we can do about that, and the second is because there's already an entry in the usergroups table with a gid of 1, which MyBB won't (and really can't) do. If you've been inserting data manually via backups and running the installation script in a different way to how it's meant to be run, obviously it's not going to work properly. There's nothing wrong with the code itself, tens of thousands of other installations work just fine; the fact you're getting that first error shows that there's an issue with the host somewhere.
I apologize for my tenor everyone. MyBB is not the first script I've ever had difficulty with.

Here's a real hoot--I've messaged the host and here's their reply:
Quote:If you see error message 'MySQL server has gone away', it might be that your script is not optimized and makes too many connections to the database (or your website is very active, has many users online at the same time).
You may also get his error if your script executes heavy/slow MySQL queries.

First of whole you should check if your database is well optimized and has indexes where needed. You should contact the script developers and ask assistance.

You can also query Google for this error message:
http://www.google.com/search?q=MySQL+ser...+gone+away
Did ya see that? The script points to the server and the server points to the script? Big Grin
That's ok. I'm moving on. Thanks everyone.
/facepalm

It's an installation script, obviously it's going to be running a lot of queries!! How else do you propose it inserts everything it needs to be set up?? And actually, even though it's an installation script, it's not running a massive amount of queries; if they can't cope with an installation script, that says something.

Rolleyes

Plus, the script blaming the host and host blaming the script thing isn't rare, but the fact is, 99% of the time it is the host, and not the script, and that doesn't just apply to MyBB.