MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Create a 'forum' that works for a 'blog' ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hope this question is appropriate for this forum.

Would like to configure a forum to be 'like' a blog... ie have topics and subtopics that include discussion about the initial post in a subtopic.

Eg, main topic/category may be 'Government', and child forum/topic may be 'Federal', and next child forum/topic may be 'IRS' and then a 'blog' post about the IRS.

Couple questions...

1. Have tried a series of 'childs' and it works, but after the 1st child, the 2nd... are not displayed. Is there a way to make them be displayed.

2. Have not tried it yet, but assume can make the parent forums locked for posting, and they would just be outline headers for the subforum/topic posts ?

Am sure we will have other questions about this little project, if it proves to be viable, but thats it for now.

If you have any other ideas on how to make it work, other than content (afraid Im stuck with that one :) please let us know.

Thanks much.
For blogs, you may use XThreads (No doubt an outstanding plugin): http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=297
I attempted this same task. Here is my thread on the subject. Needless to say I decided to just use a CMS to create a blog and keep the forum separate.
(2011-04-01, 06:22 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]I attempted this same task. Here is my thread on the subject. Needless to say I decided to just use a CMS to create a blog and keep the forum separate.
Thanks for the reply and comment/s.
Am trying to keep this thing as simple as possible, without templates/plugins/etc.
But, also need to make it make sense.
Would like to take a look at the result of your decision.
Could you give us the url to the site ?
Thanks again !
Ps: Just realized there is a 'www' at bottom of your post. Is it 'http://www.jmd.cc/' ?

(2011-04-01, 06:44 PM)akm Wrote: [ -> ]Am trying to keep this thing as simple as possible, without templates/plugins/etc.

No way. How do you expect to change the functionality of MyBB without any alterations?
(2011-04-01, 06:58 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]No way. How do you expect to change the functionality of MyBB without any alterations?
Was afraid someone was going to say that :)

Yes, www.jmd.cc is my site and I'm using a very basic CMS (sNews, only 5 files). I am working at integrating the forums into the site but still have some testing to do.