MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: not the faintest clue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Now you might discover one drawback of free hosting:
  • With this (non-standard) set-up where is your ' public_html ' folder? Toungue
#
1) I'll try to teach you how "standard shared hosting" works.
2) You can either "figure it out" based on the info provided, or...
3) At least you will know a bit more before trying to ask your host some questions.

Here we go...
Standard shared hosting:
This folder ' / ' is your home folder >> The actual full file-path is generally " /home/your_username/ "

This folder ' /public_html ' is your web root the primary folder for your main domain; Your addon domains are probably in ' /public_html/otherdomain.com ', if you already used the control panel to add them.
  • So the files for your forum need to be in this folder: ' /public_html '
  • or a sub-directory...
  • /public_html/forum
...or for the other domain:
/public_html/otherdomain.com

Have fun Smile

well it is kinda fun. Deducing the right way to go. Reminds me of yr 3 maths class. This is exactly why I became a teacher of my own fields.
Anyway,

I downloaded, installed mybb and started building my site.
Are these actions even connected? How does what iv built so far relate to the folder that i've only now just found?
Has the online builder been tweaking files in a folder that im not aware of?
OR do I now transfer these files
to the ones in my folder?

Thanks heaps guys.
Is this how everyone learns?
wtf theres no comprehensive, online beginners guide? (shrugs)
I'm not really sure what you're referring to when you say the 'online builder' or what files it's been 'tweaking'... you upload the files to a directory on your web server, run the installation script, and then just use the forum.
(2011-04-05, 09:09 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really sure what you're referring to when you say the 'online builder' or what files it's been 'tweaking'... you upload the files to a directory on your web server, run the installation script, and then just use the forum.
ok,
well before iknew about any of this,
id already been building away.
on an online forum builder. its must be online, cos iwasnt.. so..
and thats mybb.

um, anyway im uploading some shite-
do i put say mybb or whatever program, totally into the public.html folder? then i run it from there?

* The files for your forum need to be in this folder: ' /public_html '
* or a sub-directory...
* /public_html/forum
why does mybb now want a password for my database?

I havent even needed to put a password infor my database yet (i dont think) but it tells me its wrong.
Damn theres a lot of password prompts
(2011-04-06, 11:19 PM)BigJonMud Wrote: [ -> ]why does mybb now want a password for my database?

I havent even needed to put a password infor my database yet (i dont think) but it tells me its wrong.
Damn theres a lot of password prompts

If you don't give MyBB access to the database, how is it supposed to insert the data there??

If you don't know the password to your database you can find it from the panel that your hosting company gave you, if its not there then get in touch with your host to find it.
wow replies are quick here! : )

iv never entered a password for the databse.
I can just create or delete as I choose from my host cpanel.
the only password was for the username..

ah me thinks i hadnt clicked the lil submit button to make it all happen Confused
and, after install- do i need to delete and files or setups or installations and stuff to leave it 'secure'. how do i make it so no1 else can buggerise with it?
If you need to delete the install folder it will prompt you to do so before you can access the forum. You can delete it if you wish but it's not necessary unless prompted.
Pages: 1 2 3