MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Banned my admin account, need to undo from mysql.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, as part of an April fools day prank I added my admin account to the "banned" user group and set it as my display group. I am still a member of the super moderator and administrator groups though. However, I am now blocked from the forum and cannot undo this. How would I go about removing this additional group from the mysql database? I have checked the banning tables and I am not in those, so clearly I am being marked as banned by either IP or usergroup.
Simply changing the db table ' mybb_usergroups ' will still leave you needing to update the usergroup datacache.
When something is that messed up I always go straight to my "fresh install test forum" (or a recent backup), and get what I need:

1) Drop your mybb_usergroups table* and replace with (import the related sql) either a copy from your recent backup, or a copy from a "fresh install test forum."

*EDIT: or try to edit the usergroup(s), Step #2 is more important, right now.

2) Look at the data in mybb_datacache table (again either in your backup db, or a fresh site) and find the row 'usergroups'; copy that data into (the same row in) your messed-up db.

^^^
There might be other ways to fix it; This way should almost certainly work, to fix your usergroups.
If the problem is in mybb_users (your account), then then similar advice will also work, ie. just copy your account/row (uid =1) from a backup db (or fresh install) into the damaged db.

// April Fools Toungue
There may be a backup. I can't remember if we included the mysql db in our backup script. I will check. If not, any other way? And thanks for all that info. =]

Elsewise, I will have to wait until another administrator comes online which could be some while.

/*
On a humorous side note, I can still post and use the forum just like normal. haha
http://xserverx.com/forums/thread-4168.html
Also, it is slightly more humorous if you realize I am REALLY good at the game and get called a hacker all the time. p=
*/
(2011-04-02, 03:17 AM)HermXIV Wrote: [ -> ]...And thanks for all that info. =]

Sure Smile

Please note I just edited the (above) post...
...and now I just edited this one too. Toungue

#
If not, any other way?
Yes, grab what you need from a fresh install of MyBB.

EDIT:
You could modify the datacache info yourself, just be careful since it is serialized data.
Did you actually remove ACP access from the admin group?? Because simply being in the banned group will do absolutely nothing if you're also in the admin group, it will not restrict anything. You said you were blocked from the forum but can still post... in what way are you blocked exactly, then...??

And unless you have modified the actual settings of a group, the usergroups and datacache table have absolutely nothing to do with this in any way whatsoever.
As Matt said, you should still have access to the Admin CP. If not go to phpMyAdmin and find the users table. Then browse for the admin account and remove yourself from the usergroup that way.
(2011-04-02, 12:48 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Did you actually remove ACP access from the admin group??

Can you actually do this? Why would this be allowed?
(2011-04-02, 12:48 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]....And unless you have modified the actual settings of a group, the usergroups and datacache table have absolutely nothing to do with this in any way whatsoever.

(2011-04-02, 02:55 AM)HermXIV Wrote: [ -> ]...How would I go about removing this additional group from the mysql database?...

He asked how to "remove this additional group", and initially claimed to be "blocked from the forum"
HermXIV, have you figured out a solution and/or do you know what you actually did?

(2011-04-03, 03:31 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Can you actually do this? Why would this be allowed?
Interesting question, let's find out. Toungue

##
!!
Can you actually do this?
Yes

OMG, I'm locked out!!
.... @11:36pm

#
mybb_usergroups table restored
OMG, I'm still locked out!!!
.... @11:38pm

mybb_datacache restored
Admin access restored
.... @11:40pm

Works good for me. Angel

// Why would this be allowed?

(2011-04-03, 03:31 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-04-02, 12:48 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Did you actually remove ACP access from the admin group??

Can you actually do this? Why would this be allowed?

Some people create a new user and usergroup, put the new user in that new group, set up that new group to have ACP access but be styled the same as registered members, and then they remove ACP access from the standard admin group. Then they use the forum as usual with their proper account, which looks like it's an admin account (username style), but has no ACP access, so if somebody hacks it, they can't get to the ACP. They then use the new account that does have ACP access to actually admin the forum, but it's impossible for other people to tell which account it is.
That is an incredibly specific and uncommon scenario to allow such a huge change for. Who here really does that? Wow.
Pages: 1 2